Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The distributor on my 1977 spider was removed from car when I purchased it. Can someone please give me a link or explain how to install distributor....The dist. was removed and I'm not sure how to find TDC, or where to set the lock down plate. I converted it to the ignitor ignition removing the points system. I also added 8mm wires and am ready to start and time this thing. Thanks....Any help will be appreciated.
J

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
1. Remove the spark plugs

2. Rotate the engine clockwise (as you're facing the front of the engine) until you get to the "P" mark on the crankshaft pulley AND when you look into the #1 spark plug hole, you see both valves fully closed. If you remove the valve cover, you will see the cam lobes for the #1 cylinder pointed outwards.

3. Look at the distributor end. You will see that the "key" is offset slightly as is its corresponding key in the engine distributor hole. Line up the offsets and insert the distributor. The base of the distributor should set all the way down on engine block. If it doesn't, then the keys have not married up.

4. If the oil pump has not been tampered with, the rotor on the distributor should be pointing towards the front of the car. That is where the #1 spark plug wire should go on the cap. Should go 1-3-4-2 clockwise around the cap.

WRT the distributor clamp, it's probably set correctly, but if it isn't, just loosen the collar, install the pump, statically time the distributor, then lock the collar with the adjustment hole with the distributor lock nut somewhere in the mid-adjustment point.

If you want some tech material on your car, Spica, etc, drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send it to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts