Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the original model of distributor used for the 1600 and/or 1750 engines was? Is there a source to purchase a good used, new or rebuilt one of these? Please advise. Also, is there a popular type of distributor people are using in these engines? Thanks.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Can't help with a source for a new dizzy but please give this post a read. I think the 1600s were fitted with the 041.

·
Premium Member
15,006 Posts
The 123ignition distributor has a set of programmed advance curves that includes the ones used 1600 engines. It is sold by IAP and some European Alfa parts vendors.

·
Super Moderator
12,330 Posts
Both Jim and Ed picked my choice. Jim's Bosch 041 unit was the racers choice back in the day. It was very durable, could be rebuilt, and recurved to fit Weber / Alfa variations. I have a couple of restored ones on my shelf, recurved to match the AUSCA curve used with 1600's and 1750's. The 123 is a modern replacement, and as Ed mentioned, various curves can be user selected for best performance. No distributor machine required as with the Bosch unit.
Both choices are very good, and will work well for the application you mention, from my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
The 123ignition distributor has a set of programmed advance curves that includes the ones used 1600 engines. It is sold by IAP and some European Alfa parts vendors.
The 123Ignition has the added benefit of looking almost stock.
And there is no "box" to mount on the engine bay wall.

·
2,140 Posts
Centerline sells a new Bosch style reproduction distributor, either with points or a Pertronix module installed. New distributors are NLA from Bosch.

There are a bunch of Bosch 009 reproductions on the market that can be made to fit, but many are junk. The Vee-Dub crowd are very price driven.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have the 123, suggested by Ed, and have never been happier. I replaced an original Bosch. No points or sticking advance weights with this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts