Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to Alfas. I have an 85 Spider. The distributor is not clamped down. I can see a stud on the right side with no nut on it. A similar post said there was an "adjusting" screw on the left side. I cant see that. Some other posts on here state there is no adjustment to an Alfa distributor. One post says the stud on the right side is not supposed to have a nut on it. If not, what holds the vlamp down. My shop manual has nothing about this unusual arrangement. Should I just put a nut on that stud and tighten it down?
Lost in paradise!
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Welcome! How about some pictures?

If your car has the original L-Jetronic fuel injection system, there is no adjustment of the distributor. My 85 has a nut on that hold-down stud. M6 if I recall.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
I don't have a good photo but the distributor should be clamped down onto the block. The L-jetronic distributor is not adjusted like 'normal' distributors. It is supposed to be set in a specific position and left there. All timing adjustments are then done by the ignition computer. The L-jet distributor has nothing inside - just a shaft & rotor to distribute the coil output to the appropriate spark plug.

From the factory the bolt allowing the distributor body to rotate was a tamper-proof 'shear bolt'. As it was tighten down the hex head would shear off leaving what looks like the head of a carriage bolt. By now I suspect they have all been drilled or cut off and replaced by a regular bolt. Maybe yours still has the shear bolt?

Note the wide tip of the rotor. This is essential so that the ignition computer can vary the timing. If a narrow tip rotor is installed, the small tip can be too far away from the contact piece inside the distributor cap when the computer advances the timing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! How about some pictures?

If your car has the original L-Jetronic fuel injection system, there is no adjustment of the distributor. My 85 has a nut on that hold-down stud. M6 if I recall.
Thanks
I'll put it a nut on it tomorrow.
There's a post on here that sYs heart a nut on it and it screwed the stud up.
There doesn't appear to be anything else down there to hold the clamp down.
I bought the car not running with no spark.
I'm going through it looking at all the basics.
Ive found some chafed wires. No blown fuses. There is a really crappy looking ballast resistor in the wiring between the dash and the coil. I haven't seen that in any diagrams.
There is a spider for sale near me in a car lot
Ive gone over there a couple of times and oozed at the engine.
I think they're going to get suspicious if I keep showing up and popping the hood!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts