Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends:

I purchased new Distributor Cap, Wires, and Rotor from Classic Alfa.

I realized during installation that the numbering of the new cap does not match the numbering of the old cap. Please see pictures. My drawing shows the new cap numbering and orientation.

Old Cap is Magnetti Marelli. New cap uncertain, but from Classic Alfa.

Question - which numbering sequence do I use for new cap? Yes this is my first time performing a tune-up. Very surprised that the new cap wouldn't match old cap numbering system.

Also, has anyone had problems with the Classic Alfa Distributor Wires being way too short to reach the driver's side of engine spark plugs? Not to mention the silicone wires are resting on the engine in order to reach. Very disappointing, unless I am completely doing something incorrectly.

Please help as this has derailed my weekend project !

Thank you,

Jamison USA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
The engine firing order is 1 4 3 2 And the plug wires must be in that same order. Get the motor to TDC on compression stroke on #1 cylinder. Note which electrode the rotor is pointing to and put #1 plug wire in that hole. Then put the others in in the firing order and in the clockwise direction. Then write the wire numbers on the outside of the cap with a sharpie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello:

I was able to find the proper order on the alfamontreal.com website = 1-3-4-8-6-5-7-2. Good picture of an actual cap as well.

So the numbers on the new Distributor Cap from Alfa Classics is absolutely incorrect for the Montreal. Buyer be aware.

I've logged a complaint with Classic Alfa as well because their spark wire set does not fit the Montreal. I've compared all new wire lengths with that of existing. Existing has a longer wire that is 32" in length, and in its place the Classic Alfa set has a 16 inch! This is not nearly adequate. We shall see how they respond and service this complaint I've sent by email. This is protracting the project and is quite frustrating.

Worst case I have to purchase an entire second set of the red 7 mm spark wires, which is a bit ridiculous. However, Mixing and matching different types/brands of spark wires is not satisfactory for a professional appearance and restoration.

Hope this is helpful to others in the future.

Jamison USA

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Jamison,
Classic Alfa is usually one of our best suppliers for old Alfa Parts. In the few instances where I haven't been satisfied, I have been told anything from "well nobody else has complained about those parts" to "just keep the parts and we will send the correct one you ordered". I suspect you got a V8 Ferrari distributor cap and wires by mistake.

The Montreal distributor cap, rotor and points -don't go there; unless it is with fine 'wet or dry' sand paper, are 'low tension' parts due to the capacitance discharge type system. Usually the contacts can be cleaned up with a fine file or 'wet or dry' sand paper and the parts reused.

Is this your "first tune-up" or just your first on the Montreal? Either way, if you don't already have a copy of Alfa Romeo Montreal~the Essential Companion (my favorite book) you should really consider getting a copy, right now! Better yet get a copy for the garage (part work shop manual) and a copy for your coffee table.

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
dont be confused by the Marelli distributor cap, you must be aware that it is not a standard distributor for V8, should rather be considered as a double 4 cylinder distributor in one with a single two ways rotor...
so, the firing order and the cap order are not identical
firing order is 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8
cap order is 1 3 4 8 6 5 7 2

coil A is for 1 4 6 7 cylinders
coil B is for 2 3 5 8 cylinders

1 - 9 of 9 Posts