Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, I started removing the Maratona edition body kit from my 1984 GTV6. I am close to sending the car off to a panel beater to fix her nose, so it is time. It is time to remove the body kit. I have been petulantly waiting for months to see the car without the Maratona edition side skirts. Being a teen in the 80’s, I should love these aero effects. thought it would grow on me, it hasn’t. I’m not putting them back on. Just though y’all may be curious what she looks like under the skirt. I thought some pictures of the individual component of the body kit be would be useful for historical documentation. I’ll upload some general pictures as I remove the other panels. Pic #1 is the day i purchased her. The remaining are her disrobing and shots of all the individual skirts. Be safe.
New toy.jpg IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0440.JPG

·
Registered
101 Posts
Side skirts on those 80’s cars... “fashion is fleeting but style is forever”. The gtv6/alfetta will always have style, but the skirts were most def fashion. Gotta love it... put on your bell bottoms! Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
... Being a teen in the 80’s, I should love these aero effects. thought it would grow on me, it hasn’t. I’m not putting them back on....
Good call. The bare Alfetta is a clean and crisp shape. I've seen a handful of V6's done well in retro Alfettese, including the bumpers and taillights. The hood bump is the only thing I think you can't change because of plenum clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
I did the same to mine

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below are photos of the Maratona trim sections removed from the front (fairing), front wheel arches and rocker panels. So far removal has been easy and luckily, no glue, rust or misc.… surprise cuts to repair.

Thanks for the feedback and seeing other Alfa projects is always a bonus. Be Safe
IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0451.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As someone who studied car styling in design school, I'm not a fan of the add-on goodies on most cars. But, there are others out there who would love to buy your Maratona cladding. If you decide not to put those back onto your GTV6, I'm sure there will be a long line around the block begging for yours.

The original iteration of the Lamborghini Countach was the Bravo concept car. A gorgeous shape, with no extra cladding, etc. Over time, it grew wings, extra scoops, and as much superfluous ground effects details as it took to nearly cover the entire body. By the time they finished, you couldn't see any of the slick body below. Looked more like just a platform to show off aftermarket accessories at a SEMA show. But, that doesn't mean it didn't show up as posters on every young boys' bedroom wall. I had a chance to walk around the Bravo as a full-size clay buck,, years ago. I would have preferred the purer version, myself.

What looks right to the eye does not always look correct to the wind at 200 MPH, tho. A basic Porsche 911 body is to most folks 'eye candy'. But apparently not the best shape for its usage. Why else would it have required that nasty whale tail added?

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
Hmmm, I vote for a smash it all up party ... not many blind people own GTV6s, so can't see who else you would sell it to :D
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
I had a couple of people approach me about selling mine. I've just kept it for posterity. I won't sell the car, or put it back on, but my kids and wife may want to be able to sell the car with all it's proper parts upon my demise.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
Well there you go. Consider me amazed. But I guess cool that some people like the kit :)

I'd like to see a black car with this kit. I think this would hide the join of the kit with the body and might look killer
Pete

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As someone who studied car styling in design school, I'm not a fan of the add-on goodies on most cars. But, there are others out there who would love to buy your Maratona cladding. If you decide not to put those back onto your GTV6, I'm sure there will be a long line around the block begging for yours.

The original iteration of the Lamborghini Countach was the Bravo concept car. A gorgeous shape, with no extra cladding, etc. Over time, it grew wings, extra scoops, and as much superfluous ground effects details as it took to nearly cover the entire body. By the time they finished, you couldn't see any of the slick body below. Looked more like just a platform to show off aftermarket accessories at a SEMA show. But, that doesn't mean it didn't show up as posters on every young boys' bedroom wall. I had a chance to walk around the Bravo as a full-size clay buck,, years ago. I would have preferred the purer version, myself.

What looks right to the eye does not always look correct to the wind at 200 MPH, tho. A basic Porsche 911 body is to most folks 'eye candy'. But apparently not the best shape for its usage. Why else would it have required that nasty whale tail added?
I'll most likely keep the kit in the attic for the same reason as Horsewidower. Yet, these cars are not
I'm more surprised than anyone that a fan of Giorgetto Guigiaros work

Thank you, Yes, great times for cars. It was the start of the great hatchbacks and sport sedans. I remember what Alfa was competing against in the 80’s. Such as the VW GTI, Toyota Supra, AMG anything and BMW. The car I was looking for in my head was always Giorgetto Guigiaros design. The Maratona edition redesign by the other design firm was well thought out and put the best materials for a sport GT car that Alfa had for exactly what I still hope to use it for today. Unfortunately, I will be lowering the car to euro height and the side skirts would get destroyed in the LA area canyon and desert roads. So, until I’m ready to pick up real metric Maratona edition rims (?) and sacrifice performance for ride quality I’m switching over to a standard plastic rocker trim and fairing. I haven’t chosen that yet so would appreciate any input you all may have?

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ignore that first mess... My battery died and sent what was on the screen at the time.. Went different direction and didn't know the other was published. My bad.

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finished removing the last two (2) sections of Matatona trim over the rear wheel arches. This required removal of the rear wheels and bumper, which was happily easy. I see design curves of what Alfa presented as their Alfetta entrant into the 80’s hot hatch market. Think 80’s GTA-V6 response to AMG, VW (GTI), BMW M, SAAB Vigen and associated euro GTI versions. Great time for GT/sport sedans

. IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0474.JPG

and the final pile. Good stuff for 36 years old..

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
16" Compomotive. Haven't measured the offset.

I shop the clearance sales at Tire Rack, selecting the best available when I need them. Best time to buy is when they do the model change overs in late summer early fall. I review the ratings and reviews, and then choose. You can get some great deals.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I was able to meet Giugiaro briefly at my graduation ceremony at Art Center. Got to shake the hands of Pininfarina and Bertone then too. Didn't wash my right hand for a week. Two of my best buddy classmates went on to become the heads of design at ALFA/FIAT. One from my home state of Vermont, and the other from Wisconsin. I still keep in touch with those two boys.

Years ago, my next door neighbor had a close family friend visiting from the UK... who was VERY Italian. He noticed I had two GTV6s in my drive and came over to walk around them. I went out to chat with him. He started off by loudly declaring that only an Italian could have created such gorgeous lines. I somewhat agreed so as not to initiate a heated debate. But explained that an American, from the exact town he was standing in (Manchester, VT), was currently the head of design for ALFA-Romeo. He immediately reached for his heart, and shouted "Sacrilege!! Impossible!!". I believe to this day he thinks I was just BSing him, or trying to start a beer bottle fight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts