Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been an avid reader of your suggestions and I hope you can help me with this one.

I'm trying to dismantle the layshaft. The shop manual says to mount the shaft on a vice equipped with protective jaws (I'm using a leather belt for this).

The nut at the end of the shaft (on the side of the 4th gear) is stuck and no matter how hard I close the jaws, the shaft spins when I try to undo it.

I'm also worried that the 5th gear I'm try to hold with the jaws can get damaged by the pressure.

Any suggestion on how should I do?

Thank you in advance!
Enrico

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nut removed

I finally managed to remove the layshaft nut on the side of the 4th gear. Since the 5th gear I was trying to hold with the vise kept spinning, I used two wrenches (in the universal 10mm size) to prevent it from doing that.

I'm still surprised for the amount of strength needed to loosen that nut.

I'm doing a full rebuild and wanted to replace the layshaft bearings too. I hope I'm not being too maniac here!

Ciao,
Enrico

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi all,

I have been an avid reader of your suggestions and I hope you can help me with this one.

I'm trying to dismantle the layshaft. The shop manual says to mount the shaft on a vice equipped with protective jaws (I'm using a leather belt for this).

The nut at the end of the shaft (on the side of the 4th gear) is stuck and no matter how hard I close the jaws, the shaft spins when I try to undo it.

I'm also worried that the 5th gear I'm try to hold with the jaws can get damaged by the pressure.

Any suggestion on how should I do?

Thank you in advance!
Enrico
Think 1/2 inch impact wrench.

b :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is a good suggestion I totally wasn't thinking about.

I might have found another cool tool to look at :D

Thanks awesomeBLT!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just a comment and you can take it for what it is worth, but next time you need to hold the gear (during reaqssembly) try to find/use something softer than the gear to jam into the teeth. Copper is very good for this. We use a penny on motorcycle transmissions when the big nut needs to be busted loose. I have cut some hardwood jaws to hold a gear for tightening in the past. Impact gun is great for loosening but not so good for tightening.

That's my .002

1 - 7 of 7 Posts