Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
This might be better routed to ASI to see if they are willing to bite it off. They pride themselves, albeit self appointed, with verifying original cars. All things are political especially this area of car provenance so they might take a stand that they aren't qualified and the car owners haven't applied for recognition as a way to stay out of the fray.

I am sure Porsche, Audi or MB wouldn't be afraid to blow the whistle if it was let's say a Silver Arrow or like without proper documentation.

The Italians don't seem to care too much. The 8C 2900's are sprinkled with cars like this that started with a VIN plate, frame or engine block.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are two similar stories about the first alfa ROMEO badged car from australia the G1 as disscussed here and the 20/30 ES that Lionel Jones restored in the late 1960's. this car also sat on a farm for decades unwanted. this is the car that Fusi offered a blank cheque for. Lionel Jones declined the offer so a second offer was made by Fusi offering Mr Jones any car in the museum that they had two of. A deal was reached and Mr Jones chose a red 1953 sportiva
before WW1 alfa built 380 4.1 litre type E 20/30. after the war Nicola Romeo was keen to restart car production there were parts for 95 cars held for the duration of the war. after the war these were modified to type ES standard and issued with the new ALFA ROMEO badge. There were two seat racing cars and tourers made on these chassis's
Enzo appently drove one of these cars and won the 1920 Targa florio in the touring car class. is there a mix up in the stories and the Ferrari museum has the wrong car on display

Most of this imformation was taken from an australian magazine the cover story titled " a jewel for a gem"
THE MAGAZINE WAS ISSUE NUMBER 1 OF "SPORTS DRIVER" 1988

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Ferrari museum probably have the G1 on display to represent the cars of that era perhaps ?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Lionel Jones restored his 20/30 with a touring type body. the racing version was a two seater with a cylindrical fuel tank common for the time.There is a famous photo of Enzo sitting behind the wheel of a 20/30 with the race number 14 that failed to finish the 1923 Targa Florio. the same photo that is behind the G1 at the Ferrari museum. the Count Ricotti teardrop car in the Alfa Romeo museum was built on a 20/30 chassis

·
Administrator
14,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
The Ferrari museum probably have the G1 on display to represent the cars of that era perhaps ?
Sure, no problem with that, but the article refers to the G1 as Enzo's actual car. That is the problem.
Pete

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Another question to ask is: who approached who about putting the G1 in the museum? If it was the owner first, then it sounds dodgy, because they know darn well it was never a race car; let alone Enzo's race car. If it was Ferrari first, it might be lack of research on their part. Either way the owner is going along with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This Alfa G1 came down from Queensland to Mr Julian Sterling who restored it to a very good standard. I had some small involvment in this, ie: I built the two timber tool/step boxes on the side of the car, and produced the timber rim to the steering wheel. Over a 2 year period I produced 1:5 detailed scale drawings of the car. The Achives didnt have full details , only a chassis plan, some sectionsof hubs, diff, etc and 1 engine elevation, 1 engine plan, and 1 section of the engine. I used all the information that Julian was able to obtain, and then measured everything, and took many many photos. So I have a full detailed set of 1:5 drawings, elevations, rolling chassis plan , and all the details required to build the model, including gearbox, bulkhead, gauges etc.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Thought you might like to see how the G1 looked when it was first 'restored'/'recreated' etc.

My 10 year old son brought a book home from the library to show me and these pics where in it from 1981.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'll fix the rotation when I get on a computer. Stoopid phone.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
the car is essentially the same as the one I saw at Phillip Island a few years back.
Same car (the photos in previous post are old), but has been converted into a replica of a 20/40 race car.
Pete

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
50 Years of Alfa Romeo - published 1959/1960?

While visiting the Swiss Car Register during the summer of 2014, I photographed some pages and individual images of a an Alfa Romeo publication (1959-1960(?), German language edition) that I believe I have seen in English as well. Here is what Alfa Romeo promoted at the time. I share one image here of a racing car captioned as "G1" and another shot of the same image appears in the pdf file … with added context as to the publication itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a little confused by this thread. It seems that the person who started the thread might be mistaken?? I'm no expert on these cars. I've been to Pebble Beach a few times and it's a great experience - http://apexrally.blogspot.com/search?q=pebble+beach . I'm probably stating what others have already said that it appears that this model was raced - https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AZ18/Arizona/lots/r110-1921-alfa-romeo-g1/544458 . Sure, people including judges aren't perfect. Anyway, I suppose I learned about a new, to me, Alfa today at least! :smile2: Take care all. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Each to their own I guess, but the car was far nicer when it was here in Australia in my opinion. I’m not crazy about the distressed look and the dull red paint it has now. We’ve been through all this at length on this thread and I think the consensus is that these cars were not raced and certainly not by Enzo. I believe a guy who posted earlier is working on putting together another one in Australia.

161 - 174 of 174 Posts