Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted some cheap tires for my 1973 Berlina so thought I'd try Kumho Solus KR21 185-70-14 . They didn't have the Kumho, so put on the Dominator (made by Cooper Tire) which they said was an up grade.

Has anyone run Dominator?

I find them a little noiser than what came off and am uneasy with the road holding. I don't know if the Kumho would be any better or not. If I want the Kumho, I've got about another 2 weeks to decide. They won't charge me for the Dominators.

·
Premium Member
15,537 Posts
With tires, you generally get what you pay for. I for one will always look under the barrel for the extra bucks to buy a better tire, esp if it's going on an Alfa, even a Berlina. After all, why buy an Alfa if you compromise the chassis with a cheap tire?

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always bought good tires for Black 164S, my daily driver at the time. The Berlina is different. The tires need replacing due to age cracks, not tread wear. It is a running project that will not see the track or spirited driving until it gets a lot more work done. With limited funds, I need to spend money where it will do the most good for me and the car. Right now, that's not tires. Several people have reported satisfactory results with Kumho's. I'd like to find out if anyone has run Dominators and what they think of them.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I agree with Del.

Remember, the only contact you have with the road is the tires. Many have questioned why I would put "expensive" tires on a high mileage car. But I have always figured that a wreck because of "cheap" tires is a lot more expensive than quality tires that may still have a lot of life when the car is scraped for other problems. And older cars with worn suspensions, etc. may need "quality" tires more than a recent car to prevent the off-road or contact situation that sends the car (hopefully not the driver or passengers) to its just reward.

I would never cheap out on tires.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I highly value the opinions of members of the BB, that's not the direction I'll be taking.

Has anyone run Dominators?

·
Premium Member
15,537 Posts
LOL, maybe you've overextended yourself with Alfas. My wife does a good job of making sure I am not in the same situation, as I always seem to find models I just love and could own many more of.

Consequently, I've got only three clean Alfas, alas.

Have fun, and next time I come up to B'ham to visit my bro on Lummi, maybe we can get a couple of beers, and chat.

·
Registered
410 Posts
From reading your post it appears YOUR not happy with the Dominators which is really what's important. It doesn't matter what someone else thinks if you don't like them. My son has Kumhos on his PT Cruiser and is pretty happy with them. Go tho Tire Rack's website and find the Kumho you're interested in and read the customer reviews. Most people seem to like them, especially at the price.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Del,
I'd love to get together. Email me when your up this way. Maybe I am over extended. I have far too many projects right now. The good news is I've stopped buying cars until I get these fixed.

·
Premium Member
15,537 Posts
Will do, maybe in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Richard2, I've not run anything from Cooper since the mid eighties on my '62 Impala but have allways liked Kuhmo's. I have the KH11's on my L and have brand new Hankook Ventus Sport 104's on my S. They are both really nice tires for the money. My GTV6 has Michelin Pilots but when I need to replace them I'll probably go another route.

P.S. where I live there is no snow and rain is pretty moot so that is never an issue.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tango...thanks. My 164B came with winter tires. We don't get much snow, but a lot of wet weather in the winter.

Del...Looking forward to it...give me a shout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts