Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It's a nice Disco Volante C52 evocation.
Difficult to say what is under the body, could be 1900 / 2000 / 105 engine.
Great country where this kind of cars could be registred and drive on streets :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmmmmmm. Looks like your sister in law is really in Florida according to the two license tags visible. I would guess that this is someones "project'. ( a first class project) First thing I would do is to get that steering wheel lined up. It would drive me crazy to drive it like that. But I guess if I needed a 6 pack in a hurry and my 16 year old kid had my 1959 Veloce out on a date I guess this would be my next best choice of the cars in the garage. 😉👴

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmm. Looks like your sister in law is really in Florida according to the two license tags visible. I would guess that this is someones "project'. ( a first class project) First thing I would do is to get that steering wheel lined up. It would drive me crazy to drive it like that. But I guess if I needed a 6 pack in a hurry and my 16 year old kid had my 1959 Veloce out on a date I guess this would be my next best choice of the cars in the garage. 😉👴
Certainly possible, they do a lot of traveling. And like most cell phone photographers, a million photos with no record of where it came from or why they took it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Tom Zat in Wisconsin's ALFA HEAVEN has one of these that might possibly be a genuine disco volante (i.e. flying saucer), but I have seen photos of a couple others that looked good too. This particular one in this thread is not very close to what the actual looked like, but Tom's is so close and has many many specific features that only the factory originals have -- such as oval tube framing and sequential numbering of pieces added to on the frame that Touring would use in putting cars together. On my first two liter spider all the chrome pieces were stamped with numbers. Tom's seller said he was once employed in Detroit at either a Ford or GM factory which picked up all Tourings unfinished cars after Gina Lolabriggita had the coupe she was driving in its promotion release suddenly lift off the road a bit at high speed due to the almost wing camber body shape. Touring had to do something with the ones they had left because Alfa dropped the model. The fellow told Tom he had saved one for himself after he was ordered to push them all into the Detroit River after they had been thoroughly checked out by the factory brass. Guy was not Alfa "smart" and advertised it several years later for sale in Hemmings as a Disco Volare. By the time I saw the ad Tom had already been there to some mid nation state -- Kansas or Missouri -- and picked it up. Tom had a truck he would use to pick up rusted out cars on the east coast and others with all rubber and upholstery cooked in the Southwest. He was National insurance companies "Alfa Expert". (big story there about that being the reason we met, but some other time). I did get opportunity to talk to the seller but never saw the car till many years later. Tom had it once to a National Convention It has engine fairing around the bottom of the engine compartment cut out for a 1900 but the 2000 engine installed with a 1900 bellhousing, clutch and transmission had a different shape and doesn't fit perfectly. I recall Tom complaining about the engine leaking oil on the floor under his feet. He doesn't show it much but he will show it to you if you visit him. He has quite a museum of cars which would interest any Alfa lover. You would find him a gracious host in Aniwa , Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
For info, there were only 3 disco made and they are in the museum. (2 at Alfa, 1 at Schlumpf)
All others are copies and the rest is only literature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts