Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,947 Posts
Odd that such an interesting car would end up at Copart. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be driving/riding on that final trip - don't see any evidence of a roll bar.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Looks like possibly no engine. Wonder what is or was there??

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
816 Posts
Really interesting.. it has to be a replica.. what's left of the body shape looks very good.. "faithful replicas" are going for 140-175 Euros....?
This one isn't quite that - the gas lid isn't close to correct, but it has Touring logos and Superleggera script, drum brakes all round - so someone did try hard on some details.. I have asked an Alfa friend in Syracuse to go take look at it.. hopefully tomorrow..
If he can't make it, I'm "only" 2-1/2 hours away..
- Art

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Looks like possibly no engine. Wonder what is or was there??

Ciao

Ken
I think the engine is still there - not exactly sure how you would extract it from that mess without a lot of cutting.

No VIN, no lane number. Just an FYI Art, you might call ahead before driving down there. My experience is that if it hasn't been assigned a lane number it may not be onsite. Could be different in Syracuse. They may not run hundreds of vehicles through the lot every week like they do here in Denver.

Looks like a rusty roundtail behind it in the 1st pic. You might take a look at that while you're there.

Chuck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks more like a 101 front suspension to me-drum brakes, front steer. The engine could be out; I think all that bodywork is just stacked on the front of the car and not attached.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
In the listing it says it not on on site and won't be until it sells. It is also on approval which means it has a reserve.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been to several CoPart yards and I'd bet these photos were not taken at one of their yards. Most of their work is insurance related, and the auction indicates a closed bid and I an auction date has not been established so someone is fishing trying to determine a value.

I expect there are several firms doing recreations-this example was not made by the Swedish firm Motorima-the dash, tail and gas cap are all different. The recreations and original do not have a speedo-only a tach. The Swedes use an Alfa 2.6 6 with triple webers

Carrozzeria Corasco of Turin did some copies in the 50s and 60s but this is not one of them

The wheels and A Arms kind of look like a Jag-I wonder if someone used a Jag chassis

Pity-the originals were not successful on the track due to body lift affecting handling. I wonder if that took this one off the road. Seems like a nasty wreck

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This car was a copy with a 4 cyl engine. It was for sale some years ago (10 years ?) on internet. Price was around 180K USD at this time.

My memory may be lacking...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Believe I saw this car at the EuroCar Day outside of Buffalo back in early June. It sure looked a lot nicer back then. Interested in its story if anyone has an idea.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looks like a catastrophic failure of the driveshaft flex joint at the tail of the transmission. It blew out the drive tunnel between the seats. Looks like the rotating shaft ensnared a piece of fabric/clothing. May have been a secondary failure, but the driveline was definatly in motion at the time.

·
Super Moderator
9,947 Posts
Looks like a catastrophic failure of the driveshaft flex joint at the tail of the transmission. It blew out the drive tunnel between the seats. Looks like the rotating shaft ensnared a piece of fabric/clothing. May have been a secondary failure, but the driveline was definatly in motion at the time.
Good detective work! Yes, upon studying the photo below, that does look like what happened. You can see that the giubo is fractured. Hope that blue cloth wasn't part of someone's driving suit, though that might explain why the driver lost control. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I lost one on my 1991 S4 Spider early last year. Started to hear a vibration at speed that was unusual. Looked relatively intact when in place, but it was actually in three pieces, nicely paired with each piece having a driveshaft and a tailshaft bolt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Its now listed as a pure sale which means it will sell to the highest bidder.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
It either has a 1900 or 2000 cast iron engine. Which would bean original style engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I a little digging and it looks like this car is a replica made by Greppi Coachworks in Italy and shipped to the US on April 28, 2018.

Does anyone have an idea what something like this would be worth restored? As far as I know all the Disco Volante's that were made in 1952-1953 are in museums so this is probably the closest you can get to the real thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts