Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently exchanged my '84 GTV6's transaxle for an isostatic shifting set up and do not have the correct shifter. I managed to make the '84's work temporarily (signs of desperation, eh?) and need to correct this. Does any one have an '85 or '86 correct GTV6 or Milano shifter & mount for sale/donation whatever? Please pm me.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the shifter needs to come from a Milano. I may be wrong of course. I too may be doing this conversion soon myself.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The isostatic linkage is purported to have commenced circa mid-85 on the GTV6s as some of the early models had the early set up. I'm not sold on the iso as there are several moving parts that wear and I am told they are getting difficult to obtain. The GTV6 had the modified shifter to accommodate the iso linkage.

If you go this route, the mod to the chassis is to beat it in about the size of your fist - really. Otherwise, there isn't room for the iso to properly maneuver. I must have connected, disconnected & lowered the gearbox 10 - 15 times.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have heard that an air hammer makes for a good friend during that part of the conversion.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, right!!!! How'd you know what I used???? I had a 1/2" slightly radiussed tip that I used. You have to go fairly high up for the parts to clear particularly in the 2-4-R motion. the 1-3-5 gear selections are not the problem. I also hasd to re-route the rear brake line up and out of the way.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah I read something on that a few days ago on another site and it still seems to be a pain. I'd love to check out the conversion the next time I'm out there.

I have a rental in Ahwatukee so I come every so often. I was just there on the 30th and 1st to transport my motorcycle back here and it was 114! Wohoo... So the next time I come may be in Sept. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can buy the shifter from an Alfa 75 (Milano) then cut it to suit the GTV6 floorplan. You can use the existing GTV6 shifter to ascertain the correct length. It is not easy but if you are lucky enough to have a friend who has one already installed you can remove and use this as a template. The 75 shifter ofen come up on ebay.co.uk for sale. There may be one there at the minute.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after two parts breaking on the iso linkage, I'm swapping the input shafts and using the original shifter & rod. It's much simpler with less crap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts