Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is leaking ferociously. I can't find any replacement gaskets in catalogues. It looks like you could hose a piece of rubber hose (I haven't taken it apart yet). However the engine heat would probably cause a problem.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You don"t suppose you might have a crankcase pressure problem, lack of venting through the OVS system?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
If you mean the ~2.5 inch long flexible hose that connects the dipstick tube to the crankcase, then you should replace it with a similar size rubber hose rated for petroleum.

When I did my head gasket replacement, I replaced the old one that was so oil soaked it was "weeping" oil through it.

Suggest replacing clamps as well.

Hope this is what you were asking.

JP

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get a piece of hose.

Will also look at crankcase pressure for possible issues.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer question as to location of hose, it is where dipstick tube attaches to engine block.

·
Administrator
16,362 Posts
Picture of dipstick tube to block connection (early S3 with oil return line from OVS at base of dipstick tube - later S3's have oil return fitting at right side of sump).

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Picture of dipstick tube to block connection (early S3 with oil return line from OVS at base of dipstick tube - later S3's have oil return fitting at right side of sump).
I've been meaning to ask a question about this line and now that the topic has come up...

My car has a build date of 5/83. I have a line that goes into the intake side of the block, but there's a hose (about 3/16") that's not connected on either end. One end is on the intake side, it runs forward across the front frame member (behind the radiator) and then back on the exhaust side of the block.

Could this be the same hose? The dipstick just has a piece of hose at the base, it doesn't have the connection for this hose.

It's almost as if the factory had laid the hose in but then the new style engine arrived and the hose wasn't removed.

·
Administrator
16,362 Posts
It's almost as if the factory had laid the hose in but then the new style engine arrived and the hose wasn't removed.
I'd guess it is more likely a PO changed some parts - or ?

The early S3's had the hose from the OVS running across under the radiator to the fitting at the base of the dipstick. The later cars ran the hose from the OVS to a fitting on the 'shelf' of the oil sump on the right side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just ordered a small quantity of 14MM (tube diameter) fuel line. Evidently this size is common among European cars.

Mine has a felt gasket - but not for long.

I will definitely wait until I have the hose in hand before I remove anything.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts