Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have the wrong did stick fitted. The PO complained of bad oil leaks but the dickstip tube is 12cm whereas the dipstick is designed for an 8 cm tube. So the full mark is 4 cm above what it should be. No wonder it sprayed oil.
Questions”
I have a Classic Alfa EN064 dipstick that measures 240mm from the retainer to the max fill level.
1/ is the tube removable. If so I can cut 4cm off it. If it does com3 out is it a screw fit or push fit?
2/ I cannot find correct dipstick anywhere.
I can cope with the math of deducting 4 cm from the level but the min level is below the bottom of the dipstick and am fed up with my local Italian car garage being helpful and “topping off “ the oil despite the number of times I have explained it to them.
Not a serious problem but who sells the correct dipstick because i do not seem to be able to slide the top collar down 4 cm.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Hi
I have the wrong did stick fitted. The PO complained of bad oil leaks but the dickstip tube is 12cm whereas the dipstick is designed for an 8 cm tube. So the full mark is 4 cm above what it should be. No wonder it sprayed oil.
Questions”
I have a Classic Alfa EN064 dipstick that measures 240mm from the retainer to the max fill level.
1/ is the tube removable. If so I can cut 4cm off it. If it does com3 out is it a screw fit or push fit?
2/ I cannot find correct dipstick anywhere.
I can cope with the math of deducting 4 cm from the level but the min level is below the bottom of the dipstick and am fed up with my local Italian car garage being helpful and “topping off “ the oil despite the number of times I have explained it to them.
Not a serious problem but who sells the correct dipstick because i do not seem to be able to slide the top collar down 4 cm.
thanks
What model is your car?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1978 Spider. Ex California. I do not think the engine is original I think it cam3 from an Alfetta. There are two long threaded bolts that protrude out of the front end of the head. Was that for spica or air con?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think even the Californians would put air on a spider so I guess engine is not original. I can not find the engine number. Where is it located?

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
1978 Spider. Ex California. I do not think the engine is original I think it cam3 from an Alfetta. There are two long threaded bolts that protrude out of the front end of the head. Was that for spica or air con?
Not sure where those two bolts are located. Left or right side? They could have been for a smog pump. THat would be on the left side which I believe is the reason the battery got moved to the trunk. But, I could be wrong

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two long bolts equally spaced pointing out of head towards radiator about 3 inches long. It is the treaded part so more like studs than bolts. Something was attached to them and driven by the main pulley I guess

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I do not think even the Californians would put air on a spider so I guess engine is not original.
very common in the USA actually...
I can not find the engine number. Where is it located?
either on the driver's side, the flange where the bellhousing bolts to the engine
engine number.jpg
or under the intake side (earlier engines)
engine number2.jpg

find the engine serial # and someone can tell you what engine type you have.
without knowing it is a bit difficult trying to establish what dipstick you might/should have

what markings do you have on the front of the head.......is it a 2.0 litre or (if alfetta) an 1800 or other?
something like this?
head id.jpg

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
There are two long threaded bolts that protrude out of the front end of the head. Was that for spica or air con?
I once had a 1974 Berlina that had the same long threaded A/C bolts protruding from the front of the head. The car was sold and parted out but I kept the engine for a while, until it was traded for something else...

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
The studs sticking out of the front of the head were for the air pump for emissions.

I doubt its an Alfetta motor. The crankshafts on those were not drilled for the output shaft bushing.

Larry at APE probably has a correct dipstick and tube for it. They were all the same on the Spica cars.

Does your tube attach to the oil pan or block?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi
The dip stick tube goes into the block.
The engine number is AR0165*A91651. Really difficult to read tucked in behind the exhaust flange and with twin servos hard to access.
I think I will simply cut off the studs as it makes access to the front end a real knuckle scraping experience.
The chassis no, is AR 115 410006907 Why 115 I thought try car was the 105 series or is it just a coincidence?
The markings on the front of the head are just as above.
cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correction engine no. Is AR01615*A91651
Looking through previous posts it looks like a 78/79 from a spider so is correct for my car but do not know if it was fitted at build.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Correction engine no. Is AR01615*A91651
Looking through previous posts it looks like a 78/79 from a spider so is correct for my car but do not know if it was fitted at build.
nope

AR 01615 a USA 2.0 litre alfetta (spica) from the 116.58 chassis alfetta
116.58.jpg 116.58 2.jpg

and some early alfetta cranks were actually drilled (luigi at the factory just used up remaining 105 parts off the shelves.....when they were exhausted, the 116 cranks (undrilled) were used....
Viva alfa romeo:)

many 105s in UK/EU have been retrofitted with alfetta engines: drill them, change flywheel to accept the clutch up front etc etc

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that. I always thought it may be from an Alfetta
The studs coming out of the front of the head (air pump) are from the two head ‘plugs’ visible in the photo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts