Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about the ease of lowering and raising the top. I have to use both arms to muscle my top up and down. If it is supposed to lower and raise with such ease, how can I adjust my top to improve its ease of movement.

pjn

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Buy an old Triumph - takes about 35 minutes to put the top "up" :)

Seriously though, maybe you have rust or corrosion in the mechanisms or a mis-alignment issue. Try spraying some silicon lube in the joints and work it in. You can use something like Tri-Lube too but use some backing towels or rags so as not to spray it on the material and don't flood it.

If it's an alignment issue you need to loosen the two mount brackets behind the door pillars then work it around so everything is where it needs to be.

All of the info is in the factory manual on convertible top replacement. There are a ton of adjustments that can be made (or screwed up)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. A little more info on the top. I replaced my top because the original was rotted out when I received the car. Instaling the top myself actually came out very well. What does the cable and its adjustment mechanism have to do with anything? I did have and old Triumph! I've also had an MG Midget, and a Miata when I was younger. Now I have this 87 Spider given to me by a family member. I didn't go looking for it. It found me!

PJN

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The cables keep the outer window surrounds taught but if you tighten them too much they will interfere with opening and closing the door with the window all the way up.

In our family we went through a couple of TR3's, a TR4 and a GT6 back in the 60's. My brother bought a new Berlina in '72 and none of us have ever looked back since :D (although I do own a Land Rover)

·
Registered
62 Posts
What I do is open the hatch and by the time I am driving up to 30mph, the wind will push the top down. It's kind of cool since it feels like you have an automatic top opener.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You gotta muscle that thing into place!! What's worst is cold weather, where the vinyl seriously contracts. You gotta streeetch that baby to lock it down.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Was it difficult to operate before you replaced the top?

Before I replaced my top, it was difficult to raise by reaching back from the driver's seat and grabbing the handle. Standing outside of the car, I couldn't raise the top by lifting on the driver's side, but I could raise it by lifting on the passenger's side.

When I removed the old, ragged top, I found that the frame was bent in a couple of places. I gently straightened each bent member and tested the frame without the new top fabric after each adjustment until it operated properly. After I installed the fabric and made the adjustments outlined in the instruction manual, the top is still easy to raise. It does take some effort to pull it tight and latch it down, but bringing it up and letting it down is easy - as it should be.

If kcab's advice doesn't make your top work properly, you may have some bent frame members that need attention. Take your time and change just one thing at a time. Be careful that you don't damage your new fabric. Also, let us know how it goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts