Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I attempted to swap out they tie rod ends on my GTV6, but quickly threw in the towel mostly due to the cold weather, the lock nut's resistance to move, and lack of shelter I figured it was a job that could wait until warmer weather. However, due to new laws here in Maine, I can no longer register my Alfa as antique, and it now has to pass inspection, so I thought it an appropriate time take a pilgrimage to visit Glenn and the guys at Heavy Metal Alfa. The tie rod end was the most stubborn thing I've ever seen in my life. The lock nut back off with some heat, but the tie rod itself had to be heated to red hot before it could be turned maybe a quarter turn, then reapply heat and on and on. So long story short, thanks to some dedicated (possibly crazy) Alfa mechanics, a lot of heat, even more cursing, some blood and some burns, and a couple hours the thing finally came off. So first off another thank you to the guys at Heavy Metal for getting me out of another tight situation.

Also, this whole thing gave me an idea for a thread: what are some of the worst jobs that you have ever had to do? A very straight forward job ended up taking 4 hours, anyone else have any similar experiences with seemingly straight forward jobs?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
HMA inc. are the best! They are there to HELP, so I try and help them as best as I can taking on projects that would help their cause.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A few weeks ago I attempted to swap out they tie rod ends on my GTV6, but quickly threw in the towel mostly due to the cold weather, the lock nut's resistance to move, and lack of shelter I figured it was a job that could wait until warmer weather. However, due to new laws here in Maine, I can no longer register my Alfa as antique, and it now has to pass inspection
Does Maine have an exclusion for cars of special interest?

I was able to get around the emissions testing on an S4 Spider in IL with this, back when it had to be tested.

I gave them some info re: how many cars were imported and so on
and showed them the almost classic car insurance.

·
Administrator
17,468 Posts
...thanks to some dedicated (possibly crazy) Alfa mechanics, a lot of heat, even more cursing, some blood and some burns,
Do they know all the special Italian swear words? Do they have the proper hand movement to accompany the curse words?

...what are some of the worst jobs that you have ever had to do? A very straight forward job ended up taking 4 hours, anyone else have any similar experiences with seemingly straight forward jobs?
I just came back in the house after spending an entire afternoon just to remove the steering wheel from my GTV6. I wanted to clean the turn signal switch's internal contacts and check for loose wires as the right turn signal was operating erratically.

First I had to make a long threaded rod to fit the 6mm threaded holes in the steering wheel hub. Since I didn't have a long 6mm bolt I cut the heads off two bolts and tapped a coupling nut to connect them to some 1/4" threaded rod. Then I discovered that a PO must have tried & failed to remove the steering wheel as the 6mm holes were stripped. Arrgh #1

I fixed them with some Heli-Coils, threaded in my 6mm - 1/4" rods & attached my puller. I tightened the central bolt but the steering wheel wouldn't budge. I tightened it further and the Heli-Coils began to pull out. Arrgh #2

I then drilled & tapped them for 8mm bolts (I had some long 8mm bolts...). Same thing - the steering wheel wouldn't budge & the bolts began to pull out. Arggh #3

I then put in some 8mm Heli-Coils and put the puller back on. It finally popped free!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does Maine have an exclusion for cars of special interest?

I was able to get around the emissions testing on an S4 Spider in IL with this, back when it had to be tested.

I gave them some info re: how many cars were imported and so on
and showed them the almost classic car insurance.
If you register your car as antique in Maine it doesn't have to pass inspection, however the state is cracking down on people taking advantage of this with junky cars that shouldn't be on the road.

As far as emission tests, I've never had to deal with them here. I think once a car is a certain age emissions are not required.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you register your car as antique in Maine it doesn't have to pass inspection, however the state is cracking down on people taking advantage of this with junky cars that shouldn't be on the road.

As far as emission tests, I've never had to deal with them here. I think once a car is a certain age emissions are not required.

Ok, I mentioned it because you said they were changing some things and you couldn't register it as antique anymore.

I was able to get around the IL inspection (which was only emissions),
but I'm not sure what they're changing that makes your car fall outside the criteria.

While I agree that cars on the road should be in roadworthy condition, a rather large percentage of the folk doing the inspections are dangerous, at least to classic cars.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
A few weeks ago I attempted to swap out they tie rod ends on my GTV6, but quickly threw in the towel mostly due to the cold weather, the lock nut's resistance to move, and lack of shelter I figured it was a job that could wait until warmer weather. However, due to new laws here in Maine, I can no longer register my Alfa as antique, and it now has to pass inspection, so I thought it an appropriate time take a pilgrimage to visit Glenn and the guys at Heavy Metal Alfa. The tie rod end was the most stubborn thing I've ever seen in my life. The lock nut back off with some heat, but the tie rod itself had to be heated to red hot before it could be turned maybe a quarter turn, then reapply heat and on and on. So long story short, thanks to some dedicated (possibly crazy) Alfa mechanics, a lot of heat, even more cursing, some blood and some burns, and a couple hours the thing finally came off. So first off another thank you to the guys at Heavy Metal for getting me out of another tight situation.

Also, this whole thing gave me an idea for a thread: what are some of the worst jobs that you have ever had to do? A very straight forward job ended up taking 4 hours, anyone else have any similar experiences with seemingly straight forward jobs?
Yeah we are all familiar with those "should take only a few minutes" kind of situations. One of the more recent was on a friend's GTV6 rear taillight for bulb replacement. The lens had been GLUED onto the body. We ended up having to destroy the lamp and separate it with plastic spatulas a fraction of inch at a time around each opening. Such a pain in the a**.

No pics of this supposed GTV6?? Come on!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we are all familiar with those "should take only a few minutes" kind of situations. One of the more recent was on a friend's GTV6 rear taillight for bulb replacement. The lens had been GLUED onto the body. We ended up having to destroy the lamp and separate it with plastic spatulas a fraction of inch at a time around each opening. Such a pain in the a**.

No pics of this supposed GTV6?? Come on!
It's funny you mention the taillights, while two guys were working on the tierod two more of us were trying to find working curcuit boards around Glenn's shop for the taillights. As soon as we'd fix the bulb we were trying to fix 3 other bulbs wouldn't work and so on. Eventually after some more swearing and solder all bulbs are working. It was quite a tedious day to say the least, but worth every aggravating moment. The fact I drove home in an Alfa Romeo more than made up for the trouble!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Vermont no emissions testing. If it came with a cat it has to be there, but many stations overlook this if the car is from the 70's. Antique registration is strict. The cops will stop you if they see you driving you car daily. They have nothing to do here. The registry is also a PIA. Bringing pictures usually convinces them to give you the antique plates.

Glenn send me the light circuit boards I have a sure way of fixing them. Never have a problem with them again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts