Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a '79 Spider. Latching the top is a bear, such that my GF can't near do it. Closing the latch tends to raise the top off the llatch clip on the window. I have to grip the top with my finger tips, place the latch in my palm and squeeze my hand to get it to latch.
I have trimmed the square stop bosses in the frame with some relief but not nearly enough. The cables are slack.Seems the latches are designed without enough leverage.

Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, how to overcome it?

TIA Rusty

·
Banned
129 Posts
Your top mave have shrunk, and/or may have been improperly fitted in the first place. You should be able to get some slack by removing the interior trim around the rear and sides, loosening the fasteners, and then retightening them with the top properly adjusted.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It's probably, if the top is fairly old, that it's shrunk. This is often the result of storing the car with the top down for long periods of time. I almost always put the top up when putting it away for the night. Is the top cloth or vinyl?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's probably, if the top is fairly old, that it's shrunk. This is often the result of storing the car with the top down for long periods of time. I almost always put the top up when putting it away for the night. Is the top cloth or vinyl?

The top is brand new this month and canvas. The old one which was vinl had exactly the same problem.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
612 Posts
According to the manual part that covers convertible top, you can readjust the height of the frame on b-pillars, but i have no idea how to do it...

http://he3r0.ovh.org/alfa/convertibletop.pdf

(Top adjustment section)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts