Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas why my new (2005) pinion seal would start leaking after a night of spirited driving? I had no leaks or drips since replaced but all of a sudden it started leaking leaking oil from it. It almost seemed to start after I stopped home; never noticed anything till the next night :confused: Help!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
So the little vent pipe on the upper side of the axle housing is open?
Sturring causes air pressure buildup, the vent gets rid of the pressure.
We all have a tendency to over fill the rearend and tranny. Pumping fluid until it starts running out the hole and then we hurridly plug it while it's still flowing. Also take into acount the position of the car when filling. Seals are not designed to hold back standing oil, only splashed oil, so overfilling is not the best thing to do.
Otherwise rust or dings on the part that contacts the seal, even something wrapping around the contact ring causing wearing of the seal.

Just some ideas.
Check the vent
Stan

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
WAG - you didn't start using :rolleyes:synthetic did 'ya?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Always, even on those things they run in the mud and muck.

You'll find it on the right axle tube, topside, a few inches from where it bolts to the differential housing. (little metal tube about 1/4"-3/8" diameter that comes out straight up then kinda hooks back over so it points down)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhhh... Mine is bent over and shaped like a eye hook. I guess I have a little work to do. I think when I re-did my axel a couple of years ago, I probably ended up painting over the opening. Oops. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts