Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

This is my first post here, not quite an alfa owner yet but destined to be one. Always have loved them.

Have a question on the diff of a GT1600Junior. How do I tell whether it is a conventional diff or if it is a limited slip diff? I'm told that the casting has a "V" cast into it near the oil plug if it is a LSD. If so can you post a pic indicating the "V" please.

Also, what were the final drive ratios available for these cars?

Thanks very much for the help.

Dylan
South Africa

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the 1600 gtj never had a lsd fitted. Maybe a former owner changed that (if its a otherwise original looking car still with a 1600 I doubt that) but a LSD can be fitted in a non lsd axle, so its not possible to tell just by looking at it from the outside. There is a trick to check, but if I am correct there are also brands of LSD were that trick won`t work. best is to use the search option on this forum for that, and the ratio`s. Stock is if I am correct 9/41

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi Dylan, the way to check that your car has an lsd (if you're very lucky and the lsd plates aren't very worn), is to jack up the rear end of the car evenly at both sides, and turn one wheel forward (with the gearbox in neutral).
while you're doing this, watch the other wheel. If it turns forward too, then you have an lsd.
This is only a given, if the friction plates inside the lsd are not very worn. If the opposite wheel doesn't turn the same way, it does not mean that you don't have an lsd, just that it may be worn.
The Alfa ZF type lsd's only had a 25% lockout ratio as standard. They can be quite easily modified to a 45% lockout ratio if so desired, by adding more friction plates. ZF lsd's normally come with the option of adjusting to a 25%, 45%, or 75% lockout ratio. I'm not sure whether the Alfa ZF's ever came with the higher option, but in my rallying days I had the ZF's with 45 and 75% lockouts in both Ford and Chevette / Opel Kadett and Opel Ascona/Manta diffs.
When taken to 75% lockout, the diff can be very noisy at slow speeds, particularly when reversing with steering lock on.

However, I agree with our friend above, as your car is extremely unlikely to have had an lsd from new, unless specified by the first owner, it is more likely to be a normal diff, or that the axle has been changed for a 2 litre axle somewhere along the line.
Hope that helps
Steve
GTA R

Hi all

This is my first post here, not quite an alfa owner yet but destined to be one. Always have loved them.

Have a question on the diff of a GT1600Junior. How do I tell whether it is a conventional diff or if it is a limited slip diff? I'm told that the casting has a "V" cast into it near the oil plug if it is a LSD. If so can you post a pic indicating the "V" please.

Also, what were the final drive ratios available for these cars?

Thanks very much for the help.

Dylan
South Africa

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sorry but I don't agree with the post Jason has attached, as I've seen it , done it on an Alfa only a few weeks ago, although it was a newly rebuilt standard LSD 2 litre diff, set at 25%.
If the plates are new, or relatively unworn, then the opposite wheel will turn in the same direction, but see my explanation in my previous post.
Steve
GTA R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts