Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'll be replacing the differential Pinion seal and don't know what the correct procedure would be to remove the nut? What I'm after is the 2 locking dents on the nut, do you try to undent through some sort of punch or is there some other method other than simply using an impact gun and brut force. I have one but just wanted to make sure before I break or strip something.

What I know is to mark and measure the depth of the nut so when I reinstall it the force on the pinion bearing will be as set previously. And I have the special socket.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
simply using an impact gun and brute force
There's no way to get in there and straighten out those dings. Just put the wrench on it and twist; it doesn't take that much torque to push out the deformed metal. Nothing will strip.

What I know is to mark and measure the depth of the nut so when I reinstall it the force on the pinion bearing will be as set previously.
Re-install the nut with Loctite, since you can't re-deform the dings to hold it in place.

I just tighten the nut until the old dings (you can still see where they were) align with the grooves on the shaft. In other words, replace the nut to the location where it was previously. As long as you are only replacing the seal, and not changing the shims or bearings, that's the proper location.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Use a punch and a hammer to "straighten" the dents out if you can get a purchase on them. If not, wrench away as Jay says.

It really easy to re-stake them though - a punch and hammer make easy work of that. That metal is pretty soft.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
It really easy to re-stake them though - a punch and hammer make easy work of that. That metal is pretty soft.
It won't do any harm to re-stake the dings. But I doubt they would hold very securely - the metal won't be very strong after it has been re-worked. That's why I recommend using blue Loctite as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts