Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The last 10 or so time I have driven my car (it was not driven for about 8 months previously), I have noticed a noise from what I think is the rear of the car. It is kind of a grumbling sound at between maybe 25-40 mph. Both the frequency and volume seem constant - kind of a low rumbling. Then as I go faster (or slower) it goes away - or at least I cant hear it any longer.

I don't think it is the ujoints as I just had them replaced along with the clutch. It started making this noise before I had the work done (was hoping that the noise was part of this), and unfortunate it has not gone away. I had the differential fluid check last year, but think it is probably time to do it again.

Any ideas? Is this a normal sound of a problem with a differential? What else could it be? (the differential is just a guess on my part).

Other then this - the car seems to be running great. It is an 88 quad (European version with webers).

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
512 Posts
same noise

My 2 pesos.....
I had the same noise you describe on my GTV a few years ago before a drive to Mexico City. Same speed and grumbling.... checked the rear end fluid, a bit low not empty... Had my Alfa guy look at it... and recommend to rebuild it.. rear axle bearing close to toast and while in there, went thru the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Rear wheel axle bearing(s). Run the car with the rear wheels off the ground (be safe, use chocks on fronts etc.,) use a stethoscope to listen to bearing noise at end of the half shafts at inner side of rear brakes.
Bearings are not lubricated by diff oil (sealed bearings).
Elio

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
any change in noise when turning?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear All,

Thanks for the great, but unfortunate info. If it is the bearing, how safe is it to drive on? Will it just seize up one day? Do I need to fix it right away or can I drive on it a while?

Dear gigem75, the sound does not seem to be linked with turning at all. Also as the sounds seem to occur around 25-45 mph, I am usual going slower when turning.

Best,

Robert

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The bearings are sealed so unlikely they will seize. I noted that mine failed in lateral play. The noise is going to be there for some time getting worse....more noticeable..
Most likely only one bearing is bad but you are wise to do both at the same time.
Replacement bearings and seals can be found at a local industrial bearing supplier.

Best regards, Elio

·
Richard Jemison
7,864 Posts
Bearings

Don`t open the diff. These bearings are not the issue. If lubed they will last far longer than the car.
Just change the axle bearings.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
I replaced my rear axel bearings when I got the 410 rear end and they only have about 10k on them. Drove to Dallas yesterday and all was fine. Was going to town today and all of the sudden the right rear bearing let go. No warning whatsoever. Major noise. Slowed down and got back to the house. Put it up on stands and sure enough the right rear was loose and making noise listening with a stick. Funny thing is that it wasn't hot. The dif housing was hotter but not making noise. Pulled the axel and the bearing was toast. Just carefully cut off the retaing ring with the torch and ordered a set of two in case the other side goes. Never seen a bearing not last that long, weird. But at least it didn't happen the day before when I was 150 miles from home!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Use SKF premiums as replacements...I got some a while back from one of the BIG Alfa parts guys...made in Romania!...there are some cheap bearings out there.
Elio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts