Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, I think I have figured out the method Richard describes above.

I cleaned all parts with cleaner and they are dry.

"measure the depth of the raised section on the underside of the cover that fits into the main housing, over the plates"
IMG_4641.JPG

"Remember to to "zero" out that end of the caliper"

When the assembly is where you think it is right, using the caliper again measure the distance from the top mount edge of the housing to the top plate.

IMG_4640.JPG

The difference will be clearance. The measurement of the inside of the housing should be about .010-.016" (dry)

In my case the difference (clearance) is 0.0055"

IMG_4639.JPG

I replaced the friction disks with new.

Does that clearance look right?

As always, thank you,

Vin

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Yes it does!! Assemble and make sure it’s still got clearance after torquing down the bolts!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes it does!! Assemble and make sure it’s still got clearance after torquing down the bolts!
Thanks goats.

Will do.

Vin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello, the method of measurement above is exactly what I did. The problem I had and then resolved was that I did not insert the smooth plate (without ears) into the end opposite the cover which created excess clearance in that side once the cover was tightened down. I did not insert it initially since I had not read anywhere about this "shim" in that side. The reason for it is that the machined area where the keyed flat bearing sits is deeper on that end that the one in the cover. Now the LSD is properly set up. Any of this makes sense?
Rich

·
Richard Jemison
7,106 Posts
Hello, the method of measurement above is exactly what I did. The problem I had and then resolved was that I did not insert the smooth plate (without ears) into the end opposite the cover which created excess clearance in that side once the cover was tightened down. I did not insert it initially since I had not read anywhere about this "shim" in that side. The reason for it is that the machined area where the keyed flat bearing sits is deeper on that end that the one in the cover. Now the LSD is properly set up. Any of this makes sense?
Rich
Actually all of the internals float in the housing. so the only problem in leaving the round shim is the machining of the grooves in the carrier (for the 4 stem floater plates) does not continue close enough to the end surface for proper hold on a floater plate if it is the first thing inserted. As well the reduced thickness of the layers of disk & floaters might result in insufficient travel for the drive unit to compress the package for lock up. Using a floater plate instead of the round shim can help with total clearances in the assembly as floater plates come in many thicknesses, and all round shims are the same thickness.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts