Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the pinion seal replaced and everything put back together. I drained the differential before I started the project then decided to drain the last bit of oil before refilling the diff. I installed a new copper gasket and started tightening the drain plug, but it would not tighten. I was no where near the torque required, but none the less, the pan is stripped. The brass drain plug threads looks good (of course), so I pulled the sump and cleaned it up. It looks like there's enough metal on the shoulder's to re-thread, but is there a larger drain plug available to fit in the narrow dimensions of the recessed circular slot for the plug (and the socket to install it)? Or is there someone that can helicoil an insert? I'm hesitant to use a Loctite or Permatex repair for such an important part. Thanks again for any suggestions- LP.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Hi Lou,

I've got a good bottom cover that you can have.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
And THAT IS the easiest repair!
I fixed a 750 once by opening up the hole, tapping with a nice fine thread, made an aluminum threaded insert, and screwed that in locked in place with stud and bearing mount Loctite. It was threaded for the brass factory plug. Couldn't tell it was ever damaged. Took about half a day on the lathe. I will not do that again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts