Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, they only cost $1.20 plus shipping, but I may have mine in hand.

No luck with search so dimensions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
22mm I.D. Around 27mm O.D.

You can also reuse a copper washer (to a point) by heating it with a torch until glowing red, then quench with water.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the numbers!

Looks like the washer has been on my peg board since my differential project.

Install should stop the drip.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I have found both the aluminum and copper crush washers to aid in sealing only marginally well at best, even the brand new, correctly sized ones. If you have trouble sealing drain or fill plugs on your gearbox or differential, clean the oil off both male and female threads real well, wash the plug threads and crush washers with acetone, and then add some of this product to the thread and washer surfaces before assembly. It is non-hardening, heat and oil resistant, and stops pesky thread leaks dead in their tracks.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the sealant advice.

All was well previously with a copper washer so I’m optimistic.

What I didn’t anticipate was reinstalling the washer and how much gear oil would drain when I pulled the plug.

Duh...:cry:

Should have used something besides my coverall sleeve to capture what poured out and the leftover Red Line I have wasn’t enough to top off.

Off to Oreiley’s...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
D'oh! Any 75w-90 GL5 will be fine. Most have LS additives so make sure you get that (unless you want to add your own). O'Reiley should have Mobile 1 - that's good stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts