1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Procedure is exact same for both.

1991 Spider Veloce, simple steps.

Setup is quite inviting. Filler/level plug located just bellow half height on both units and of course drain at the bottom. No obstructions in the way. No need to remove any other components.

• Place your new oil outside in the sun. (It will be easier to push later)
  • Take the car for a short spin to warm up the transmission and differential and lift the residue. I suggest you drive to home depot or the hardware store of your choice and get some clear tubing. ¼ ID is good enough.
  • Lift the car in such way that the unit you will work on will be in level position. That is important!
  • Open the top plug first. No need to remove it at this point.
  • Place a small oil catch under the drain.
  • Open the drain plug. You should be able to turn and remove the plug by hand once loose.
  • Go, have a coffee or a beverage of your choice. You have 15 to 20min to relax. We need to make sure that all the old oil has the chance to drain out.
  • Clean the plugs and put on the new copper washers. If by any chance you don’t have the new washers, you may try and flip the original. Not recommended though.
  • Fill the unit with oil. (The easy way)
    • Remove the cup from the oil bottle
    • Drill 2 holes in it. (I used ¼ bit)
    • Insert about a foot (enough to reach the bottom) of tubing trough the cup and leave about two feet on the outside.
    • Insert a shorter piece, (few inches long) in the second hole.
    • Connect your air line to the short side and place your longer tube in the filler port on the transmission or differential.
    • Open the air valve and watch the oil flow up. 5-10 PSI is adequate for the job.
    • Close the air supply once the oil starts to flow back out of the hole.
    • remove the tubing and wait a minute or two so the oil stops dripping.
    • Close the plug and wipe it all clean.
Above all, enjoy your work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great post, thanks. I don’t have air supply, so I got one of those $14 hand pumps on Amazon that has cap adapters to fit quart and gallon bottles. Works well although you get a little workout on your forearm.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have air supply, so I got one of those $14 hand pumps on Amazon that has cap adapters to fit quart and gallon bottles.
You can use whatever you have at your disposal. Portable tire inflator or bicycle pump will do the job as well. Important thing is to use air to push your oil. Do not use the pump for that purpose. Otherwords, don’t run the oil through the pump. They are usually lubricated with some unknown lower grade grease and will contaminate your fresh oil.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
Nice write-up. Emphasize that one should open the fill port before draining the old oil!

Regarding the copper washer I like to anneal them. (new or re-using an old). Heat to dull red with a propane torch then let cool. Rub on a piece of very fine sandpaper laid on a flat surface (I use the cast iron top of my table saw) to remove any burrs and make them look nice & pretty.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
nice how-to!.... and yep, he did mention loosening the filler first....:)

I use this, easy as pie if you can get the car up on ramps. Holds 0,5 litre, so easy to measure too...I use 3 shots for the tranny, which is a little less than the book says...that way you don't get the stuff churned up and thrown out the top so much.
syringe.jpg

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
You can make things a little easier on yourself by pulling the spare and the body plug at the bottom of the spare tire compartment. Run the tubing through the hole into the diff and you can do the filling without being under the car, or even having to jack it up.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can make things a little easier on yourself by pulling the spare and the body plug at the bottom of the spare tire compartment. Run the tubing through the hole into the diff and you can do the filling without being under the car, or even having to jack it up.
Thanks for the tip. Although I’m very tired, I’ve been going at he electrical all day so please enlighten me. How exactly you are going to undue the plugs and place the tubing in there without going under the car?
Have a break have a kit-kat.👻

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Although I’m very tired, I’ve been going at he electrical all day so please enlighten me. How exactly you are going to undue the plugs and place the tubing in there without going under the car?
Have a break have a kit-kat.👻
I said you could do the filling without being under the car. Obviously you will need to get under there to remove the fill plug and insert the hose.

·
Registered
374 Posts
And the lube appears to be the correct one. RedLine 75-90 NS...
But thats a LSD Diff, you mean 75-90 but NOT NS, surely? 75/90NS for the gearbox yes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts