Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any pictures showing how to check and change the differential and transmission fluids? I think my car is due and it would be great if there is a DIY showing the steps.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The transmission has a hex socket headed fill plug on the side and I believe a regular drain plug on the bottom. I think refill should be 3.8 pints.

The differential has a hex socket headed fill plug on the rear of the case and I beleive also a regular drain plug on the bottom I think refill should be 3 pints.

You will need a 12mm or 14mm allen wrench for the fill plugs

A picture borrowed from one of Vintre's posts showing the differential drain plug just behind the e-brake cable. Transmission is similar.

Warning make sure you can undo the fill plug before you undo the drain plug!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have used a pump adapter for a gallon jug and pumped oil into the fill hole till oil just reaches the bottom of the fill hole.

I have also added a piece of tubing onto one of those long tapered plastic funnels and fitted the other end of the tubing with an elbow fitting. Easy then to snake the elbow ended tube from the engine compartment down along the side of the trans and stick elbow into fill hole. Add oil.

A spread of newspaper and the drain pan underneath, just in case.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's been said many times, but bears repeating: Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you start draining any fluid. We've had BB members who have drained their tranny before realizing they couldn't get the fill plug out (sometimes just due to lack of the right tool).

·
Registered
9,877 Posts
and of course the car should be level when refilling the tranny etc, so driving up on ramps or jacking the side of the car up to crawl underneath is not the way to go :)

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
What's the recommended weight and brand for
The transmission,
The diff,
And while we're at it, what antifreeze is best for 105's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,261 Posts
you can if you want it easyer, to fill the diff. by pulling the spare tire out it's wheel well, removing the forward rubber plug and running a plastic tube from there.. put the oil in a hot bath for 1/2 hour this will make it pour easyer.. a hint.. you will need 2 bottles of trans oil for the rear end.. on the first bottle take the cap off. snip off the nipple to fit the plastic tube....EPOXY this tube to the nipple, ket set.. this way the plastic won't slip off as you invert the trans oil bottle.. i had some problem with this , untill i epoxyed the plastic tube to the nipple..

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
factory manual states:

Transmission - Classification - SAE 80w90 API GL-5

AGIP- Rotra SX 75w90

IP- Pontiax HDS 75w90

Shell- Spirax HD 80w90

Same for the Differential

Same for the Steering Box

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
factory manual states:

Transmission - Classification - SAE 80w90 API GL-5

AGIP- Rotra SX 75w90

IP- Pontiax HDS 75w90

Shell- Spirax HD 80w90

Same for the Differential

Same for the Steering Box
Is it the same thing for LSD differential also?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
What about limited slip differentials

Did 1984 Spiders come with lsd?

84 owners manual says:

Transmission Gearbox, Steering Box, and Differential

SAE 80W90 API GL5

AGIP F.1 - Rotra MP SAE 80W90

Shell - Spirax 80w90 HD

IP - Pontiax HD SAE 80W90

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am putting an 85 Spider LSD differential on my Giulia super. I know it is LSD that's why I was wondering if those mentioned oil are good for that.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If your spider is 84 and need to find out if it has LSD differential check above the oil pan cover in the photo that looks like a triangle shape. If it doesn't have that triangle line shape means its not LSD.

I cleaned, sand papered and paint it the differential today.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts