Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read an interesting article yesterday about some differences in traffic rules between the US and GB for drivers, including those with Alfas, of course. Turns out that evidently in GB, if you are driving your Alfa (or any other make) down the road, and an emergency vehicle (the ones with the flashing blue lights, etc) comes up behind you, you ARE suppose to let them figure out how to get past you. If you pull over to the right into a bus only lane or into a parking lane in order to let the emergency vehicle pass, you can get a large fine for breaking the rules about driving in those lanes. The article was about a recent case in GB where this happened, and the above was the official response about what to do.

In the US, however, it is possible to get a fine for NOT pulling over to let that emergency vehicle pass safely. It is suppose to be the thing to do, ie, provide clearance for the emergency vehicle.

Also, in the US, you can get a ticket if you do not slow down and move left, even on a two lane road in a limited sight-line curve with oncoming traffic, if you are approaching a police car parked on the shoulder (in the process of fining some other driver for something). Don't ask me how I know this, thanks to the great state of Texas, ye haw, lol.

So, when you are driving a car (hopefully an Alfa as Richard2 recently did in NZ) in a different country, be aware of road rule differences such as the above. Having said the above, however, be aware that it seems that Italy is where almost anything goes, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
interesting. here in Italy alot of folks have trouble with roundabouts and that you can pass school buses while loading/unloading. To most outsiders/newcomers, the thought is 'close your eyes and drive" After a while you get used to it and what the Italians are gonna do. I trust driving here with them much more than I do the drivers in the US. ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We found that the Italian drivers were pretty good about letting you through intersections as long as you were assertive but not pushy about your movements. After all, they want to get through as well, and seemed willing to give you a chance. Not nearly as much "macho' driving as in the States. Parking is where all hell seems to break loose, they parking every which way, part way into the streets, one wheel on the sidewalk, whatever tiny slot they could find for their car. amusing most of the time, but clearly an irritant on occasion.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
intersections sometimes yes but merging? Whole new concept for them. Like waiting in line at the grocery store as an example. They simply are impatient and it shows. Parking? The lines are a guide. I doubt they (as a whole) color very well. If I had to opine, I'd say the biggest irritant to me is the tailgating. I finally am to the point where I don't sweat what's going on behind me so much. I will give credit where it's due tho. They'll jam their car into some hole near/beside yours and are very careful to not ding the doors or otherwise molest the cars next to theirs. I like this common courtesy alot. ciao chris

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
driving in Paris is for the certifiably insane. People ask for travel advice from me for some reason. I dont think I look like Rick Steves. Anyway I tell them to get in a cab and tell the driver to give you a ride for a little bit returning to the pick up point. Never fails!!!! ciao jc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts