Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of experience with older 1600 cc Nord engined cars (particularily Duettos) but recently have been thinking about getting a 164 as a "daily driver" at least during the summer (it would be better than paying for the gas we use on our Jeep Grand Cherokee). But I'm a not completely sure about the various models of 164's that were produced. I know that the Q's are rare and relatively expensive. But what should I consider as an alternative in the 164 range? What are the trade-off's regarding cost versus exclusivity versus performance? For example, is an early 90's 164S better than a mid-90's 164LS?

I would want a manual (5 speed) but other than that, I'm a very much Newbie when it comes to later Alfa sedans.

Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
I have a lot of experience with older 1600 cc Nord engined cars (particularily Duettos) but recently have been thinking about getting a 164 as a "daily driver" at least during the summer (it would be better than paying for the gas we use on our Jeep Grand Cherokee). But I'm a not completely sure about the various models of 164's that were produced. I know that the Q's are rare and relatively expensive. But what should I consider as an alternative in the 164 range? What are the trade-off's regarding cost versus exclusivity versus performance? For example, is an early 90's 164S better than a mid-90's 164LS?

I would want a manual (5 speed) but other than that, I'm a very much Newbie when it comes to later Alfa sedans.

Thanks for any input you may have.
Here is a good place to start:

http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/index.html

Also check the post most recent called buyers guide. Good info there.

164 is a great car. Most of the rear wheel drive guys don't think it is an alfa but once they drive them they change their minds. Pretty reliable. Can be tough at first to work on but with time the jobs become like clockwork.

I suggest a a 5 speed for sure. Unless you are in stop and go all day long and then an auto might be up your alley but I find they have more issues.

164L is a great model. has everything, looks great and runs great. If you spend another $1000 or ?? depending on condition an S is even better. More sporty features, electronic struts (sport and auto modes) , sport seats and trim.

12V are pretty easy to maintain, 24V take a bit more. They are all fairly reliable if the work done to them is top notch.

I am making this quick as it is late so I may miss some things that people can fill in.

Stepper motors tend to fail a lot on the 12V's maybe find that one that was fixed.

try to find one that has been worked on and has records. I say the more they have been worked on the less things you will replace!

Read the websites and you should get a good idea of what you want.

LS and Q models of the 24V motor are fantastic but have their flaws as much as the 12V. Expensewise you can grab a 12V for really cheap and in good condition. Prestine L went on e-bay for around 3K, good L would go for about $1500-2K

LS around $3K
Q around 5-12K

Just some notes and very scattered, sorry! But again one of the most enjoyable cars to drive and great MPG, around 32-33mpg on highway!

Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Jason covered most of the important stuff but since I have an L and S and also just picked up a super nice GTV6 on Monday I think I can give two cents here. I really injoy both my 164's. The S with it's visceral acceleration and throatier sound and my L more for cruising. Where my S leaps the L pulls and pulls. After driving the newly acquired GTV6 most of the day yesterday I missed the transaxle cars but the level of comfort and refinement in the 164's is a step above. If you get a decent (like Jason says, receipts for work) one you should not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was in your position last year. Thanks to some wise advice from people on this forum, I focused on finding a GOOD 164 with a proven maintenance history, rather than a specific model. I eventually bought an outstanding one ower, lady-driven, 93 L automatic, with 77K miles, that had always been serviced by the Alfa dealer who sold the car new. It came with all its records and service history. The car has been an absolute joy to own & drive, no regrets at all. Like you, my preference was a 5-speed, but the condition of this car changed my mind. Go for quality, it's usually less expensive in the long run.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
My turn for my 3 1/2 cents worth. I own a 91B 5-speed I bought new and have maintained myself even before the warranty expired. I have 190,000 on it now with original engine even though I did change clutch at 130k and tranny input bearing plus struts and a mufflerr or two over the last 16 years of ownership.

Also have a 91B A/T now with 149k on clock we bought at 139k. Needed some TLC to straighened out non engine related items.

Still working gripes off a 93L 5-speed that is nice but not as nice as our B models yet. Think it led a harder life and not maintained as it should have been.

Son has a 92L 5-speed from original check book mechanic owner who had done really well keeping it up but finally drove tranny input bearing into complete failure. Now with new clutch and another upgraded spare tranny all is well. He threw all the records away the day before we picked it up. Oh well car is nice.

His ebay purchased 91 164S is coming along but it to even with repair records including a $5600 engine rebuild is not the car the 92L is, but it sure does go fast. Car to get in trouble in as it goes good and competes well in stop light to stop light with the ricers. Son got most of the records from another checkbook mech original owner even though he got it from second owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts