Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap a lot of parts (particularly the entire engine and trannie) from an '86 Spider Quad to an '82 Spider Veloce. Is that going to work? Are there any big differences between those years that's going to make it hard to do?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
On the 82 the vvalvetiming is not electrical on your intake cam. The 86 is and will require the feed to make it happen.

On the 82 you have a Tach cable running from the water pump... The 86 water pump doesn't have the drive for it so you will have to install the drive gear in the 86.

I am also thinking that the 86 has a coolant temp sensor in the middle of the
head at the rear. On the 82 there is not. No biggie there I don't think.

Just what I can think of, may be more.
Stan

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
I think Stan hit the major differences. You'd either have to change the VVT (put the '82's intake cam and the '82's cam cover on the newer engine) or swap the ECU & the VVT's wire harness to make the solenoid controlled VVT work in the earlier car.

How about the instruments? I assume the '82 has the dual pod, not sure when they switched to the mono-pod. Either way, the dash appears the same (almost like they were planning the mono-pod all along) so it seems do-able.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did basically the reverse of your swap. I put an 82 engine into an 88 quad, the only major difference was the VVT. I just swapped on the 88 valve cover, seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
The tach should be electronic on both cars. They switched from mechanical drive in the 70's.
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
88 Verde

1 - 5 of 5 Posts