Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully a quick question: I recall reading (but failed to find in a search) that the shape of the rear antiroll bars (ARBs) is different for the Milano/75 compared with a GTV.

Is this correct? And is it because of the exhaust or what?

Reason I want to know, is to confirm that when I upgrade the rear ARB, I buy a Milano/75-specific version, and not a GTV one. I guess photos would help if someone happens to have the two side by side.

Whilst here, I'll throw in addition questions: my suspension plan is to fit the RS Racing coilover/spring kit using 115kg/cm front springs (retaining standard torsion bars) and 60kg/cm rear springs. This is on a 1990 3.0 75.

Then, I was planning to upgrade the ARBs, and fit a 27mm front bar (Performatek) and 25.4mm rear bar (Performatek).

The car will ONLY be a 'fast street' car, with no track work. I'm primarily aiming for flatter cornering, and some form of compromise with ride comfort and grip on bumpy roads. I don't want a twitchy car with tricky handling in the wet, in particular not being caught out with sudden oversteer. I realise it will depend upon road conditions, tyres/pressures, and other factors. But all else being equal, is the RSR coilover + 27mm front ARB + 25.4mm rear ARB a reasonable combination?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Milano sway bars are different, even the ends use a different link.
As a fast street car I don't think you would need the coilover setup.

I would start with the ARBs and quality shocks and see how you like it, increasing the sring rate ( thicker torsion bars or coilovers) will make the ride harsher

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.

Ah yeah, I notice the GTV bars have different drop links, but that's easily accommodated with the Performatek drop links.

I don't 'need' the coilver setup for sure. But I have done coilovers and suspension work on my other Alfas, so it seems natural enough to me to use the RSR setup. I like the option of adjustable rideheight to tailor it to my needs (generally, very low).

I'll have to chase down a photo of the different rear ARBs.

:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
overkill is richie's middle name, and it always turns out stunning...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The GTV6 and Milano rear anti-sway-bars interchange just fine. The Milano bar has an outer diameter 1mm less, however it's end link setup allows for less bushing compression so it actually resists roll more. In the old days the hot set up was to switch over to the Milano bar.

However, the Milano's end links tend to break. Now that poly bushing are available for both types, the bushing compression is no longer a factor so the slightly thicker GTV6 bar is the hot setup, and it's bulletproof, it will never break.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS.COM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It's pretty straight forward alright. I have done it both ways, put a Milano bar in my GTV6 in the old days, and put the GTV6 bar back in when the poly bushings showed up.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts