Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm planning on rebuilding the suspension on my 1974 Spider and I have a question about springs. I may end up replacing the springs because with 50 pounds or so in the trunk (in addition to the spare, jack, etc) the rear of the car sags noticeably. I have a 1990 Spider and was wondering if I can transplant the front and rear springs from that to the 74. On the Classic Alfa site, they sell Series 2 replacement springs and Series 3 springs. I was wondering what the difference is between the two and if it is possible or desirable to swap springs. I've done a search but can't really find anything. Another possibility is to just buy a set of Series 2 rear springs. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
For an S2 spider, as i recall there were 2 sets of rear springs available -- one for cars without hardtop option, and one for cars with hardtop option. I put the non-hardtop springs on mine and it raised the rear to be within trim spec of the suspension (as I recall). Your 74 springs are likely just sagged out. But I also ask -- why are you loading 50 lbs into the trunk? Bag of potatoes coming home from the farmers market (thats the only way we got em where I grew up) -- 50 lb burlap bag!

·
Registered
86 Veloce
764 Posts
I have some OE spacers that I just removed from the rear of my S3. That may be a viable option....

·
Registered
699 Posts
For springs, look at speedway motors, great collection and low price, 1150 inch pounds on the front and 180 inch pounds on the rear, this will give you a great balance, and very unlikely you will bottom out the car
While I was working at alfetta motors. I recommend this set up and the ones I installed loved the ride

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!
@goats, well - I do try to keep the potato hauling to a minimum. LOL. I bought the car in Minnesota and loaded the poor car up with tools and spare parts and drove it back to Maryland. That's when I noticed.
@SkiBum -- Thanks, the spacers are a good idea. If the current springs are just saggy I'd like to fix them, I think.
@bianchi2 -- thanks. I'm a wus and want to keep the ride a little more compliant, but I bet that combination has to handle great.

My theory/guess was that the Series 3 springs might have just a little higher rate than the springs for a Series 2, since the later cars a little heavier. And since I have 1990 that's about to go to get parted out (by the scrap yard if not me) I wondered if the springs from that would be a mild upgrade.

·
Premium Member
13,713 Posts
Measuring the springs will give you the answer. Wire diameter, coil diameter and the number of coils are the variables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts