Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone enlighten me to the differences in these engines? Can I put a spider engine in an Alfetta?

·
Richard Jemison
7,691 Posts
Spider Engine To Alfetta

Simply, Yes. You only have to use a Alfetta oil pan and the Alfetta`s oil pump to match the pan design.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Can't go the other way around though, (Alfetta engine into a spider) unless you have the crank drilled for a pilot bearing.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,868 Posts
You will need to change flywheel and bellhousing over as well for Spider engine to go into Alfetta.
Regarding the Alfetta engine into a Spider or other 105/115, most of the 2 litre cranks I`ve seen have actually had the end drilling for the pilot bush. Alfa were making the 2 litre twin cam for 2 chassis types for the whole of the 116 production span, and I think most cranks were drilled anyway not being specifically designated at that stage of the production process to a particular block and ultimate engine placement.

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
The engine in my Spider is based on a 79 Alfetta engine and I had to swap the crankshaft because it did not have the pilot hole.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,868 Posts
It could be US market items so designated were different however I would not say categorically that an Alfetta engine does not have the drilling-you just never know your liuck.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i have a spider engine in my 77 alfetta sedan. there are differences in where the air pump is mounted, and then also how the hose runs to the exhaust mani. it goes around the back of the engine on the alfettas but goes from the closely mounted pump directly back to the manifold on the spiders. my alfetta just uses the spider parts so everything from the donor engine will fit ok.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Alfetta Vs. Spider motor

I have yet to see a stock Alfetta motor with a crank drilled for the pilot bearing.
There is a minor difference between the blocks, A Spider block is drilled and tapped for the oil pressure light switch on the exhaust side of the block and an Alfetta isn't.
With the proper tooling drilling the cranks isn't hard. A couple of years ago I took 2 or 3 'fetta cranks over to a buddies shop and drilled them all for pilot bushings in about an hour total.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts