Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. I have a 1982 Spider, and I have NO documentation or manuals. I want to check the diff fluids, but do not know that is in there. Anyone tell me? How difficult is it to remove the filler/check plug?

Art

·
Administrator
16,378 Posts
No way to know what is in there now (unless the Previous Owner left you some service records). What should be in there is standard gear oil - 75-90 weight.

The fill plug will likely need a 12mm hex key (like a big allen wrench). But check yours first - you never know what a PO might have done...

And, even though you didn't ask, the transmission takes a special gear oil. RedLine 75-90NS works well. Most other gear oils are too 'slippery' and the synchros won't work right. And, be sure you can remove the fill plug before draining either the differential or the gearbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have the 12 mm hex socket to take the filler plug out, but wanted to know what should be in there before I check. Also good information on the Transmission. I have only had the car a month and I'm working my way through it checking things. It works well, but I am slowly checking most components before I do any distance in it. Appreciate your quick response. Wish I could find a service manual for this year; they seem almost impossible to find.

Art

·
Administrator
16,378 Posts
I bought a CD/DVD from Car Disc. CarDisc International Ltd. - Alfa Romeo Manuals It has copies of all the shop manuals, owners manuals, TSB, even some period advertising.

You can also contact the Librarian* of the AROC-USA. They have copies for a nominal fee. Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA

* He also posts here as 'Papajam'. You should send him a PM (Private Message) and request copies of his color coded wire diagrams for your model/year Alfa. Include your email address - he'll send some .pdf files that will make sorting electrical issues a lot easier. I took my copies (on a flash drive) to an office supply store and had them print out 11" x 17" color copies then plastic laminate them. Perfect for use in the garage!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I already requested a copy of wiring diagrams and did exactly as you suggested and enlarged colour printed it and them had it laminated; makes it easier to track down electrical issues.

I also took your advice and ordered a DVD workshop manual - that should help my tinkering and repairing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LSD?

I watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers where they restored a Spider, and they did work on the differential as part of the work. They said a LSD differential can be identified by a special "V" casting on the front of the unit. I was working on my 82 Spider with it on a hoist and mine seems to have that "V" casting mark. How do you know if you have an LSD? It was mentioned that if a car has a Limited Slip Differential it needs special oil. Anyone help with this question. I looked through the DVD workshop manual and this is not covered and the pictures there have the "V" casting.

Art

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
I am pretty sure that all of the 2L cars sold in North America had LSD's. Also, ignore the advice on WD about adding the extra plates in the LSD clutch. That is a racing modification that can get you into trouble on a slippery surface. I just replaced the oil in my diff and I used Redline 75W90NS, the same oil that I use in the gearbox.

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Lubricants

Both the LSD unit and the syncronizers require the correct lubricant. It IS Redline 75-90 NS
It is available at Centerlinealfa.com.

DON`T use anything else, particularly the ones suggested in the manual.

There is many post on this subject in the BB. Do a search!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Both the LSD unit and the syncronizers require the correct lubricant. It IS Redline 75-90 NS
It is available at Centerlinealfa.com.

DON`T use anything else, particularly the ones suggested in the manual.

There is many post on this subject in the BB. Do a search!
Does't the NS denote non limited diff?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1016-red-line-synthetic-gear-oil-75w-90-gl5.aspx

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1017-red-line-synthetic-gear-oil-75w-90ns-gl5-non-limited-slip.aspx

Thanks to anyone clarifying this?

·
Premium Member
670 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
Does't the NS denote non limited diff?
It means the exact opposite. It is for clutch type LSD's.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,858 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
So, is it safe for us non tech, but want the correct product, the Redline 75W90NS GL5 is the lube for both the transmission and the differential?

thanks to all

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 75W90 has the LSD additives for clutch-type LSDs and the 75W90NS does not. This is all on the Redline pages and tech articles, yet folks seem to keep getting it wrong.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/Gear Oil Tech Info.pdf

https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-gl-5-gear-oil
"Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required"
Ok thanks that’s what I thought, hence me questioning.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
FROM EXPERIENCE 75W90NS works well with LSD diffs and you can use the same oil in your gearbox - no need to keep two different oils. I read the stuff online as well and I bought a bottle of Redline friction modifier that makes 75W90NS progressively more like 75W90 and I was going to add some if I had any clutch chatter in the LSD. I have never needed to add any to any of my LSD axles or transaxles and I have had a few of them. But as we all know reading stuff on the internet beats years of practical experience.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,858 Posts
You can use what you want, but the statement "the NS is for clutch type LSDs" is incorrect and further confuses folks about the difference in formulation. People should read the Redline tech bulletin as it clearly explains the differences and tradeoffs between the two fluids.

I've tried a lot of gear oils over the years, myself. My experience is that the Spider diff is pretty indifferent, just use a GL5. I use Swepco 201 GL5 in the Spider gearbox and diff (and the transaxle in my former Milano) and like it better than the Redline 75W90NS, but that's just my take.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts