Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I find the spot to fill the differintal? I found the drain and did that but can't find the filler fitting.
Is it beneath a little rubber nub on top of the diff? Can't seen to fet that off either. Any help much appriciated.
thanks
jim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The fill plug is halfway up on the back of the case (facing toward the rear of the car) just behind the handbrake cable. Either 12 or 14mm hex if memory serves.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
i'll make it easy for you to fill, after you drain it.( i just take the hole botom plate off to clean it anyway, lots of crud will be there). remove the filler plug on the diff. to fill take out your spare tire, pull the rubber drain plug nearest the diff. get a 10 mm id. hose run it thru the floor of the spare tire well, and into the filler area of the diff. and just pour away..( might help to have a funnel on the end of the hose.. this well save a lot..a lot of pumping the oil under the car..

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Don't take the drainplug or the bottom plate off until you confirm that the fill plug can actually be removed.........

If it's of any use, mine is a 12mm allen.

Oh, and the parking brake needs to be released/un-set/not engaged when getting at the fill plug, otherwise the cable that goes from arm to arm will be right in the road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys I was looking for love in all the wrong places. Found it on the backside thanks to Papjam, Took a little hammer tap on the allen wrench thanks to Tofosi, and and used the filling method provided by Bianchi1 to perfection.
The Red Line is in and the BB provides again.
Thanks.
Now if I could only get the rebuilt engine running right. But that's for anouther post.
jim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is there a knack for undoing the filler plug? I briefly tried with a good fitting 13mm key and a swift tap with a hammer, but I couldn't move it. Do I just hit it harder?

While the subject is fresh: -

My diff seems to be weeping oil from the seal where the propshaft connects. Is this an easy fix?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Diff seal:
It's not overly difficult, but you do need a special socket to get the yoke fixing nut off.

Several threads with the actual tool and hand made versions around (differential seal would likely be a good search keyword candidate)

Fill plug:
Are you positive the 13mm is what fits? If it's not perfect, you'll end up hating life when the plug strips out where the tool goes.

If tapping/rapping at it with a hammer doesn't work, you might try a short cheater pipe on the wrench, or, heat up the area around the plug with a propane torch then touch an ice cube onto the plug itself to use the heat expand/cold contract effects to your benifit.

They can be pretty darn tight, but once you get them moving they tend to come right out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Diff filler plug

Diff seal:
It's not overly difficult, but you do need a special socket to get the yoke fixing nut off.

Several threads with the actual tool and hand made versions around (differential seal would likely be a good search keyword candidate)

Fill plug:
Are you positive the 13mm is what fits? If it's not perfect, you'll end up hating life when the plug strips out where the tool goes.

If tapping/rapping at it with a hammer doesn't work, you might try a short cheater pipe on the wrench, or, heat up the area around the plug with a propane torch then touch an ice cube onto the plug itself to use the heat expand/cold contract effects to your benifit.

They can be pretty darn tight, but once you get them moving they tend to come right out.

Thanks for the advice.

I am pretty sure it's 13mm. It certainly isn't 12mm, because my Fiat sump plug key is too small! Maybe my plug has been replaced...? Either way, I'll be sure it's a good fit before I start trying to remove it.

If I can't get it out, I suppose I could just turn the whole car upside down and fill through the drain plug hole (assuming that will come out!)........:eek:

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If I can't get it out, I suppose I could just turn the whole car upside down and fill through the drain plug hole (assuming that will come out!)........:eek:

I learned this the hard way. Since then, I always loosen/remove the fillplug before draining the oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts