Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
clutch? clutch slave cylinder? maybe bleeding it would help?

·
Administrator
16,620 Posts
If you are sitting still, engine idling with gearbox in neutral & foot off the brake does it run OK? If you then apply the brakes it dies? My guess would be a major leak (vacuum loss) from the brake booster.

If applying the brakes in the above scenario doesn't make the engine die/stumble but applying the brakes while the car is in motion is the problem then I'd wonder about the motor mounts. Perhaps the engine is shifting on loose motor mounts and either causing an electrical connector to loose connection -or- causing an intake air hose/duct to open up thus bypassing the AFM (Air Flow Meter).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Certainly part of it, yes.

The injection system you have is very sensitive to leaks and even just a crack in there somewhere is enough to throw things out of whack and start causing goofy stuff to happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's the problem? Once when Mr. Ferrari was asked why his cars didn't have disk brakes (when all the Jaguars did, back in the late '50s), he replied, "I make my cars to go, not to stop!".

Seriously, though, I'll agree with the theory that you've got an air leak somewhere. On an injected car, that's really the most obvious answer.

·
Administrator
16,620 Posts
Replacement or repair. They might be able to be rebuilt (but I'm not sure if that is a home-mechanic type job or not).

Also - check the hose that runs from the intake plenum across the firewall to the brake booster. Make sure it is not loose, cracked, etc. And there is a one-way valve screwed into the intake plenum (where the hose clamps on). Un-bolt that and make sure it works as a one-way valve. If it allows air to pass two ways, spray some carb cleaner into it and shake it about to see if it'll free up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Brake-Booster-71-94_

W0QQitemZ140163230236QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Flagpole -

You can find some on e-bay - I've attached a link for you to get an idea. Before purchasing one from e-bay, if you go that route, open a dialogue with the seller to see what the return policy is. Although typically stated within the ad itself, you may want to double check.

Good luck

·
Administrator
16,620 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheap fix

Mine did exactly as you describe. Expensive brake booster is toast. It will stop fine w/o booster, you just have to push the pedal a tad harder like we did in the days before boosters.

I removed the large vacume hose from the booster to the intake. I put a 3' piece of hose on each end with a bolt in it and hose clamped in.

Problem solved, builds leg strength too. Instincts will drive you to push the pedal as hard as needed to stop.

Matt

·
Registered
612 Posts
my problematic thinking mode just kicked in....
brake booster is brake booster, so in theory one may be able to use one from another car? problem may be with mounting it...?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts