Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has been fine up until about 3 or 4 days ago. 3-4 days ago I noticed it was having a hard/longer start which got progressively worse each day(more tumbles needed).The dash lights also seem to be more faded each day before start up.

Yesterday-no start at all. No typical "click, click, click" of a dead battery, no turnover (tumble), no sound, and no dash lights this time.
Alter alternator, but why so sudden?!
Nothing is plugged in lighter, no lights left on, etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is only about 18 mths old (Optima), and wouldn't it die slowly, and what about that dreaded "click click click" we usually hear?

(yea, he does, lol!)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Then check the altenator.

(tom cruise still sucks)

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Fading lights is a clue that the battery is draining. Short cct somewhere in the wiring (? unlikely but possible); stuck inside light switch in the door perhaps. Most likely is a failure in the alternator regulator - it uses four rectifier diodes to convert the alternators AC output to DC voltage. If one fails (happens commonly), the alternator output goes down by at least half. Then the running needs take most of the output, and the battery never gets recharged.

Regulator can be replaced in most alfa alternators. Used to be separate (late 60's, early 70's) but has been integrated with the alternator for quite a while.

Robert

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"stuck inside light switch in the door perhaps"

****, come to think of it, I did catch the passenger side footwell light on a week or two back!! I wonder if the battery can be saved!??

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
click, click, click

The click, click, click sound happens with a greatly weakened battery. A dead battery will give you nothing.

After a slow drain to dead, if you slow charge the battery it is more than likely to recover. It will also most likely take days/week/months off the total usable life of the battery. Optima may do better?

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
After a slow drain to dead, if you slow charge the battery it is more than likely to recover. It will also most likely take days/week/months off the total usable life of the battery. Optima may do better?
Optimas are pretty robust. Recharge it, disconnect that silly interior light, and you'll probably be OK. If it goes dead again, check your alternator.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Connect a recharger ASAP. Find the power drain if any. Call a good battery shop to see if they have a "desulfate charging capability". IF so, go there ASAP; they should also be able to test the alternator.

Robert

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good, thanks guys!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^%^$%#&* battery dead, need new one!:mad:

I'm getting a friggin' cheapie this time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts