Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the process of commencing the restoration of my 2600 Spider. Whilst reasonable a lot of my diecast parts are blistered. The concern is that whilst they can be restored most electoplaters advise that the blistering will eventually reappear. I am looking at creating a master mould for the parts I need. Recreating them from sand cast aluminium. I have no idea at this point as to what parts may end up costing after casting, machining, polishing and plating, as such am looking at recreating the hardest part first being the tail light housing. Should it turn out all right I am happy to have further casts made and amortise the development costs.
Should anyone else have attempted the same I would be interested to know their experience. I am aware that there is a 5% dimensional loss as such my master will be 105% of the original.

Happy New Year to all

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have you looked into having the parts you need 3-D scanned and then printed? They do "print" parts out of metal now. Still early in the grand 3d printing technology curve, so it may be more expensive then casting. Maybe not though. Quality is an exact match to the original. I've seen plastic lenses "printed" that included all of the tiny script. Its a neat process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts