·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I like it!

Any time someone wants to spend this much time and money on a 164, I’m for it.

I probably wouldn’t lower it quite as much (roads out here in the country would eat all that expensive CF) and I prefer a bit more sidewall. But, I think it’s very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
Well, I'll say it. I think the lowering, and wheel and tire size, are stupid on that car for both appearance and roadability. I see that sort of stuff in certain parts of town, lol. Just a "Boulevard" car. Just my opinion of course. I know there are some who like that appearance.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'll say it. I think the lowering, and wheel and tire size, are stupid on that car for both appearance and roadability. I see that sort of stuff in certain parts of town, lol. Just a "Boulevard" car. Just my opinion of course. I know there are some who like that appearance.
I agree on the ride height though I will say based on the article its on an air suspension so it can be raised (I'm also no fan of air suspension but thats a different story). I do like the wheels but they are a bit much for the car, I think the size is a bit overpowering.

I do want to know how they got Brembo 4 piston calipers on there..,...

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm happy to see someone that appreciates the 164 as well. The car looks really cool. I suspect it would be really easy to curb those wheels and it is a shame that they were not able to find a proper quad engine. Here is another sort of rest-o-mod 164 that is more middle of the road:

Mark

·
18,212 Posts
I also am not too crazy about skirts, such as on my 91S, except it was the first 164 I had driven, was pleased, and decided to buy it on the spot. Maybe if I had driven an L instead I might have bought that cleaner looking car.

According to Alfa, the 164S does have slightly better aero characteristic than the plain version.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's great to see such Passion behind the Build of a 164 and I think it looks great! The ride is too low but works well for that Photo shoot. Raise it an inch or so, slap on a tad thicker sidewall and that's a cars and coffee Hit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I managed to get in touch with the builder on Instagram regarding the Brembo brakes, they said they were from the Giulietta Quadrifoglio. They have yet to answer my follow-up question of did they bolt right to the 164 front spindles, or did they need to use Giulietta spindles to install them, or some sort of bracket. A quick search on eBay you can find those calipers for around $200 each, though they are somewhat uncommon.

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,333 Posts
Man I hate "skirts" on cars. So fake and useless. Would have removed them on my 156v6 if it had not been so difficult. Removed the rear panel one, which was the ugliest, and that was a mission

Pete
I think hate is an awful strong word for not liking QV/S/Q skirts on a 164. I had them on my black S, removed them put on LS ones then put S ones back on. I do however dislike rear deck spoiler so installed clean L deck lid (trunk/boot) and moved third brake light inside to rear window shelf.
I am glad my 1990 164QV euro spec came to me without deck spoiler but skirts are fine for me.

·
18,212 Posts
We thought thought that with the champagne color of our LS, that color kinda made the trunk area look big and bulbous, sort of. The light color I guess. So, I did put on an S spoiler (and using S springs), and it did break up the appearance of that big looking trunk lid. Was ok. Car ended up being a Q minus the S/Q skirts, which was fine with us.

I suppose with a darker color, the trunk lid sans spoiler would be fine. Light colors always make a car look bigger for some reason.

·
Administrator
17,078 Posts
I think hate is an awful strong word for not liking QV/S/Q skirts on a 164. I had them on my black S, removed them put on LS ones then put S ones back on. I do however dislike rear deck spoiler so installed clean L deck lid (trunk/boot) and moved third brake light inside to rear window shelf.
I am glad my 1990 164QV euro spec came to me without deck spoiler but skirts are fine for me.
I'm sticking with hate :D. I consider skirts and what nots on a road car to be in the same category as touch screens => something we never wanted and makes the vehicle harder to use, with no benefit

But JUST my opinion :)
Pete

·
18,212 Posts
On street cars, they are just copies of race proven aero effect attributes. Front dams do work to reduce drag by decreasing the compressed air under the front of the car; and some rear spoilers, if done correctly, do also reduce drag a little, by reducing the tendency for drag inducing turbulence from flowing back up onto the trunk lid and causing increased separation of the air flow over the rear window.

A minimal front dam is being included on most cars now. And, most cars these days do have a lip of sorts on the rear of the lid to help with that problem. Some even have minimal side skirts which also are effective in a minor way, enhancing the effects of the front dam.

The spoiler on the 164S is not very effective IMO. The rest, to some extent, yes. The 164S Owners Manual does have a chart showing the pressure distribution over the centerline profile of the car at speed, measured I suppose in a wind tunnel with pressure probes, as we used to do with airplane models in a wind tunnel where I worked. Wish they would have included the pressure profiles for the base 164 without spoilers and skirts, etc. You would have seen the difference.

I remember a very old article showing a study done by Alfa on the Sprint GT/GTV body showing how adding a front dam and rear spoiler did significantly reduce the lift and drag on the car at speed. Might still have a copy of that, somewhere, lol.

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
17,078 Posts
Okay, okay, being an Alfa they would have been added for a reason. Downgrading hate to dislike :D

I wish, in vain, that modern car manufacturers were required to produce cars with:
1. Completely flat under floor area. Think of the energy, i.e. petrol/diesel, that would save AND mechanics by law had to reinstall them ALWAYS (lazy buggers)
2. 0 lift for stability and therefore safety. More important IMO than stability control via electronics
Pete

·
18,212 Posts
Almost impossible to end up with zero lift given the car has to be functional, and, without F1 style wings, lol. Maybe the closest right now is the Aptera design, which I hope to see some day. Would love to see the aero figures on that teardrop. I see Mercedes is also developing a car using solar power as a power augmentation similar to the Aptera. The Mercedes won't be anywhere as out there in design but still..., interesting thinking.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Those S/Q spoilers is part of the reason many owners Bought the 164 to begin with. I love the body kit of the 164 but also would delete the heavy dorky trunk spoiler, but a Zender Spoiler I would gladly install which I plan on doing very soon.

·
18,212 Posts
I agree that the S spoiler is more than it should be. One could be smaller and actually work as they do when done correctly. The Zender is too small to be effective in a meaningful manner, is mostly a "look".

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm still kind of mulling back and forth as to whether I will keep the spoiler or not when I do the body on mine. Some angles it kinda looks tacked on to me, other times I love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts