Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 8 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Technically they work to assist the atomized mixture flow and disburse better, then supposedly help create a more even pressure on the top of the piston during combustion, but it only works on a side valve 4 stroke lawnmower engine and then only if you don't mind changing burnt head gaskets every week.......

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
This applies to a hemispherical head how?

All I see it reffered for use in is pent roof and wedge heads, (both good for compression, but a bit on the pathetic side AFA burn pattern), and I'll give the benifit of the doubt on diesel (even though they fire as a result of compression and a pocketed piston crown rather than spark......)

I stand by what I said as do the pile of old time racers, engineers, and engineers who race around these parts.

Well, the real translation of that is that random, highly active turbulence in the chamber will give you wildly varying burn rates, and is tantamount to changing the timing on each power stroke !! The consistent vortices that the grooves can give cure this problem.
So will a properly atomized A/F mixture coming through proper port work and induction tuning.

Much cheaper than a screwing up a head with grooves if even only from a rebuildable core aspect. :shrug:

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Suggest you not refer vaguely to un-named 'engineers' when trying to debate a REAL one !!
You wouldn't know thier names any more than they'd know yours anyway, so what would be the point?

Though I can assure you they're nowhere near as anal as the one who claims to be.

I leave you to the thread, you may call it a 'victory' if it makes you feel better.

1 - 3 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.