Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my 164B Originale three (3) times today. Love that V6 Alfa whine.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
yes sir

I did, will be three to four times today, gross mileage I suspect about 30 miles all in

I drive it every day, and have been for the past 10 + years. Its my daily driver and when its 'laid up' I have my 5 speeder to drive.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Not today-daily driver 164L got some love in heated garage...
Vacuumed interior, washed inside glass, lubed door latches, swapped out power mirror switch.
Tomorrow a 78 mile fast round trip in the works.

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has been one of my many 164 daily drivers for 20 years this month as I started driving my 164B in Jan 1991. I don't drive anything some days now that my wife and I have moved into our Alfa house and I no longer have to commute from our beach house to the Alfa house.

I have to plan my trips now so I can drive it or black beauty long enough at one stretch to get them up to full operating temperature.

I managed about 25 mile round trip this morning as Thursday morning my men's club meeting is at my "third place" at my oceanfront church. I tied in run to commissary for groceries and a stop at doctor's office and Home Depot before returning home. I try to do things in a linear mode when possible but I did make a second run to Home Depot in the 164 for more fixit supplies.

Not having to drive anything everyday is not all bad either.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Ours has been off the road for the last couple of months due to a leaking radiator, heater/aircon fan problems and a broken indicator switch. I had to wait for my brother the electrical expert to be available to help and yesterday we finally got the electrical problems sorted after battling with them over the last couple of weeks. I bought a second hand indicator switch from a guy in NSW which turned out to have completely different plugs on it which meant that I then had to get him to cut the plugs off the car he got it from and send them to me. We then had to work out which wires did what on both switches and solder all the new plugs onto my loom. After all that the indicators weren't working properly and we eventually traced the problem to the fact that during our fault finding we had swapped round the two relays under the dash which appear to be the same but are not. On top of that there was a broken earth connection on the relay and fuse that someone wired into the heater fan circuit behind the fuse panel, which was also affecting the indicators. So now the fan and the indicators work properly. The rear indicators were always a bit dim and now they are nice and bright. The earth may have been cut off when the auto electrician removed the immobiliser that almost set fire to the car a year ago. The new indicator switch is a German SWF one which is a better quality thing than the French one that was on the car originally. It appears to have a variable speed wiper delay function on the stalk which my original didn't have. We haven't wired that in at this stage because we aren't sure where to connect the wires, so it has the standard single speed delay at present.

Today I hope to put the new radiator in and get the car back on the road at last. My wife is looking forward to driving an airconditioned car again.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I live at work, so don't get out every day, and today was one of those. I only have Alfas, Don't own anything else, so when I drive it's always the Alfa whine. The 'daily driver is a rescue I bought 4 years ago for $840, needing exhaust, clutch, shift bushings, etc, etc. Since it's been one the road, it's been very reliable. 185,000 and counting.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts

I do not always drive an Alfa, but when I do, I prefer the 164S.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The new indicator switch is a German SWF one which is a better quality thing than the French one that was on the car originally. It appears to have a variable speed wiper delay function on the stalk which my original didn't have. We haven't wired that in at this stage because we aren't sure where to connect the wires, so it has the standard single speed delay at present.
Ah yes. The problem in Australia and NZ is that there seem to be equal numbers of early (pre-90) and later (91-93) models around, so whenever you get a switch, foglight, tail light, seat, etc. chances are it won't match. I reckon you've got a '91-'93 stalk set. The indicator lever action is much more pleasant on those - the earlier French style always feels as though it's about to snap and I often just hold it for a few seconds rather than 'snapping' it on.

It may be difficult and complex to get the wiper interval adjustment working; I think you'll need the wiper motor too, but then again there does seem to be an extra terminal that does nothing on the earlier cars, so good luck and I'll be keen to hear how you go. After getting used to rain-sensing wipers in my 156, I do find my 164's non-adjustable intermittent wipers to be very basic.

I didn't drive my 164 today, but that's OK because I didn't go anywhere today (though at 2AM, I was driving home in my 156). It's fair to say that I drive my 156 about four times more than my 164, but then again, had the 156 been available in the USA, I probably wouldn't be the only one here to do so. The irony is that at seven years old this high-mileage import has already covered 40% more kms than my 21-year-old 164. I think the 156's inner rack end balljoints are getting a little sloppy, as there's a knocking under certain cornering loads. While I'm fixing that and the ABS fault, I'll be driving my 164.

Yesterday I drove my 164 into its new home - my outside (separate) garage, now finally clear enough to house the 164 with room to spare. That means the 164 is living inside at last, the first time in a long time. A momentous occasion, as there hasn't been even room to move in that garage for nearly a year now.

The other day, my 164 had more petrol than my 156, so I took it into town, quite a decadence listening to the thirsty snort of the V6 as opposed to the economical growl of the Twinspark.

-Alex

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Ah yes. The problem in Australia and NZ is that there seem to be equal numbers of early (pre-90) and later (91-93) models around, so whenever you get a switch, foglight, tail light, seat, etc. chances are it won't match. I reckon you've got a '91-'93 stalk set. The indicator lever action is much more pleasant on those - the earlier French style always feels as though it's about to snap and I often just hold it for a few seconds rather than 'snapping' it on.

It may be difficult and complex to get the wiper interval adjustment working; I think you'll need the wiper motor too, but then again there does seem to be an extra terminal that does nothing on the earlier cars, so good luck and I'll be keen to hear how you go. After getting used to rain-sensing wipers in my 156, I do find my 164's non-adjustable intermittent wipers to be very basic.

-Alex
Yes, I figured it must be a later model set and you are right, the action is much nicer. The French one always felt like it was going to snap for me too. It did in fact end up snapping, but it was a result of the top mounting screw falling out and breaking the self cancelling mechanism. It was well worth all the effort wiring the new switch up. My brother builds valve amps and is an accomplished solderer. We got everything wired up correctly. I got the new radiator in today and test drove the car and it is all working nicely. The only problem is that it appears to have lost the aircon gas in the meantime, so the fan is working beautifully but the compressor is not kicking in. I will have to take the car back to the aircon guy for testing. I hope I don't need a new compressor like my brother did on his. I will put a post on the fan thread about the problem we are still having with his system by the way.

We will have a think about the adjustable delay, but it is not a priority at the moment. The wires are there ready to be connected to something when the time comes. If you have any more ideas about how it might work, let me know. What we do know is that each position has a different resistance, so there are obviously some resistors in the switch.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I drove the Alfa yesterday and the day before. I was not driving it with all the snow and ice we have laying around, but had decided to run it to work for a couple of days. The continuous fuel line leak battle reared it's ugly head yet again with the cold weather. The strong smell of fuel wafting through the vents told me to pop the hood and check it out. I had about 3 leaks going and had to pull the screwdriver out of the glovebox and tightened them up in the supermarket parking lot. Much less smell on the way home, but put the Alfa away again (partly in disgust) until I can replace the hoses... again. 15*F this morning, so driving the Volvo with VERY warm seat warmers and flame thrower heating system was the way to go this morning. With Turbo wheels on it, ipd swaybars, Bilstein HD shocks, new bushings and a performance alignment, it's not a bad car to drive. It may be underpowered, but it goes around corners.
Charles

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am waiting for parts , cover is on and car in the garage. Anyway too much snow and salt on the road up here in CT. 22 inches of the white stuff.

Sadly going to the AROC-CT winter party in a Subaru.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I haven't driven my Alfa for over a month, as it is in the garage. I miss 4WD and the engine pre-heater - and driving a Ford Fiesta doesn't make me smile...

But good to hear that others are enjoying their Alfa's! :)

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Kenlowe engine pre-heater info

I haven't driven my Alfa for over a month, as it is in the garage. I miss 4WD and the engine pre-heater - and driving a Ford Fiesta doesn't make me smile...

But good to hear that others are enjoying their Alfa's! :)
What kind of pre heater do you have Factory installed option or aftermarket?

This one looks interesting: KENLOWE

·
Registered
433 Posts
What kind of pre heater do you have Factory installed option or aftermarket?

This one looks interesting: KENLOWE
I have a Webasto Thermo Top C with a remote. It's probably an old model now, as I had it installed in 2003. The car actually had a pre-heater from Volvo Aero Corporation, when I bought it, probably installed in 1995 (car is from 1994). As my car was Fiat Denmarks official press car with this installation, I don't think there was a factory option, but I'm not sure.

This heater is connected to the fuel tank and is a more costly option than an electrical one, but having the advantage of being used anywhere you want.

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Block heater Canada option 60568058 for 91-93 164

This is factory block heater Canada option 60568058:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Drove 3 out of the 4 Alfas today:) 164B, Berlina, and son's black 164S:)

·
Premium Member
27,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drove my 164B a bunch yesterday running errands and meeting car guys at Italian bakery for our coffee and pastry hit.

Plan to drive it to Williamsburg tomorrow to visit daughter's family so will so how the mayo build up goes under valve covers.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Drove it around town.
Got everything up to temperature.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
5 speed runabout

got the 40K mile Q runners 5 speeder out today and ran up to 6600 rpm -- in 2nd gear!

Its leaking oil on that doggone o-ring that 'seals' the oil filter bracket to the block-- and I am in no shape to crawl around under there to replace it. So she leaks a few drops!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Your messages are salt in a wound. Rub it in guys, rub it it. Too much snow and salt on the roads up here in CT.

37 Alfisti and friends show up Saturday night at the annual AROC-CT Winter party held at Tony's International Sports in New Haven. Always nice having a party in a warm garage.

We had are usual Milanese Auction and I bid on a few items, but only got the "not so nice". A "76 Alfetta valve cover and a used 1600cc piston and con rod sans , the bearing cap.:-[ I have enough paper weights. Maybe a picture frame for the valve cover is in order with some nice crinkle paint as a border???

Finally got long rubber bump stops for the rear shocks, purchased from Jason.

Thanks Jason.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts