Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing "Original leather seats" in ad descriptions. I'm not buying it.

Robert

·
Premium Member
22,349 Posts
Agreed. I think pre-1982 Spiders (or when the Veloce/Graduate split came), there was vinyl only, though I've heard anecdotally of some special Giuliettas coming with leather.

Various cars have since been redone in leather (my 76 Spider) and a lot of folks can't tell Alfa's good quality vinyl from leather.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
14,767 Posts
According to "Original Alfa Romeo Spider" leather seats were an option from '79 onwards in S2 Spiders.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My quad has vinyl seats, found out after rubbing them with leathergrease first because they looked like leather to me :D but looking through old salesbrochures I noticed leather was an option.

Frans

·
Registered
80 Posts
blue leather

I have an 84 veloce with dark blue leather seats that are in great shape other than some cracking on the skin of the leather. Any place i could get some leather dye that would match up to restore them?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Look at Leatherique products -- I have not used them but there are a lot of good experiences out there with leatherique, including guys I know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
According to the factory description, my '84 came in Lt Grigio Mettalico with blue leather interior.

Hope that's useful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am getting ready to reupholster my Spider. I am considering all vinyl with NO awful alcantara (matching vinyl central panels) vs. genuine leather seating surfaces.
I have found a number of seat rebuilders that have about a $350 difference in cost between vinyl and leather (rear of seats are vinyl).
Over the years, all my European collector cars all came with leather which was aromatic and luxurious while keeping you firmly seated in place.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
According to an undated Alfa Romeo issued color guide, 2000 Spider Veloces were fitted with a Texalfa (vinyl) interior only. There was no leather option. This model was produced from 1972-1979 inclusive. Note however the specific model name; 2000 Spider Veloce. For 1980-1982, the '2000' was dropped and the model was called the Spider Veloce. 1983-1985 saw another name change to the Spider 2.0. Then the Graduate, Spider Veloce and Spider Quad from 1986-1990 and then simply Spider for 1991.
So it would seem according to this color chart and the given model names, the first year that factory leather may have been available was 1980.
There was a time though that Alfa would build almost anything to the customers option and account.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've been on many forums before and I've never received so many helpful responses so quickly. You guys are great! Thank you
You're observation is correct, this group is great. I belong to other car and motorcycle forums and some of the people on the others sites are jerks, even the mods and or people with 20,000 posts. Here they try to help, not argue too much. Once in a while there are newbies who just troll and talk smack or argue. Thankfully not too often.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Papa jam, the 79 spider I have came original with leather. I know they are original as I was with my father when he bought the car in 1979 new from the dealer. Could be there was some overlap from 79 to 80. ??

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Upon further thought, not knowing the publication year of the color chart might prove only one thing; the 1972 Spiders, the 1st year for the 2000 Spider Veloce, did not have nor could be optioned with leather. So the game's afoot for 1973 & up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts