Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the rules around the smog law in CA if your car fails the smog test. I thought there was a ruling if it cost more that certain amount of $$ to repair the engine then you get a pass. I search the DMV and could not find anything on there website.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
nope. It used to be that way long ago when this state was reasonable. You will have to find a way to get your car to pass I am afraid.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I am not qualified to answer your question but I will venture a little info that I have learned. First, you should talk to a smog pro. Second, what I think happens is that your are somehow categorized as a 'gross polluter' and you get a pass but at an elevated renewal rate. I hope that a better qualified person pops in and gives you better info.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
No 'pass' for gross polluter that I am aware of. The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia has clamped down hard on all possibly, remotely, related things for the environment. There are exclusions for 'classic cars' but smog requirements, by model year, are still enforced (as far as I am aware). Current cut off is 1975 for smog exempt status. Anything later than that gets smogged, no questions asked.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the feed back. Rich at Continental Motors has my spider. It failed the smog check first time. He adjusted the values (exhaust values where tight) and check the spark plus and cap. Both where in good shape. No vacuum leaks. The car starts up with the turn of the key and idles smooth.
It failed the smog test a second time. Now he is going to change the catalytic converter. This is going to be one expensive smog check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My spider is already classified as a Gross Polluter :ROFLMAO: I am hoping that the new cat fixes the problem. I already have 3 hours of labor and the cost of the new cat. I am guessing this is going to cost me just under $800 when all said and done. I should find out on Tuesday.

The real issue is these are hobby cars and we only put a couple of thousand miles a year on them. Forcing us to put this kind of money into a classic hobby car so you can register is not right. Or worse yet, they are wanting us to crush them and get them off the road!!! The people who are writing our laws need to get off there white pedestals and ride the bus with us common folk. Do not get me started about how much taxes I pay too!!!

I will pay because I love the hobby and it is better then giving me money to a psychiatrist! I mean, a spirited driving in my Alfa Romeo on some twisted always clears the mind!

Thanks for listening,

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
In addition to a new catalytic converter, I suggest you consider a new O2 sensor, too. They are not very expensive (at least compared to the catalytic converter) and will ensure that the car will pass the smog test and it'll help the new catalytic converter to last a long time. As they get old the O2 sensor tends to get lazy. A lazy (or failed) O2 sensor will cause the computer to ignore its input and revert to a pre-programmed fuel map. This fuel map is slightly rich. After a long while, this slightly rich running will pollute the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a plan - I did asked about is and Rich from Connintel Motor said it was fine. I will ask to have it replace. I bet it is the original sensor. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Y’all just throw $ at this — change this change that. Good if u have the disposable income. Would be better to diagnose what failed, and what passes? Cat won’t help hydrocarbons to any real degree. Need to balance CO, HC, and NOX. Until you post the measured values of all this, I can’t advise you. Of course you can always trust your mechanic to get it right as well

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Y’all just throw $ at this — change this change that. Good if u have the disposable income. Would be better to diagnose what failed, and what passes? Cat won’t help hydrocarbons to any real degree. Need to balance CO, HC, and NOX. Until you post the measured values of all this, I can’t advise you. Of course you can always trust your mechanic to get it right as well
Yes I agree I ask him about all of the basics, spark plugs, cap, spark plug wires and O2 sensor: All check out good. The exhaust values where tight and he adjusted. Rich next statement was since the values where not adjusted right it prematurely wore out my cat. I hope it passes but if not I will ask about the CO, HC and NOX balance.
Rich was a factor Alfa train mechanic. I would think he knows these cars very will.

Thank you for your insight

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my spider back today and it is running great. No more smoggy smell. In fact when I put my hand behind the tile pipe and smelled my hand I could not smell exhaust. The muffler shop issued a catalytic converter certificate with a number on it to insure it is the correct cat for my car. The cat is much bigger and then the one he replaced. Rich from Continental Motor in Sunnyvale CA did a good job. He also had to adjust the values too. Some photos to follow of the shop, failed and pass smog test. Check out the passing numbers and the cat.

I am so happy to drive my spider again.

·
Registered
760 Posts
funn the person at continental motors spelled " ALFA " wrong..lol, he spelled it :ALPHA " on the hade written paperwork,in the photo above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts