·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if so, what brand/type were they?

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I purchased my GTV, I recall the dealer saying they could install a radio, but not sure what brand they were using.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pretty sure it was always dealer fit option in those days, so could have been any period correct brand or model, through I suspect that an AR dealer would probably do a decent brand/ model. I had a motorola before replacing it a few years back with a modern retro look bluetooth digital thing.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The 1750-2000 GTV dashboard came without a radio opening, unlike the previous Sprint GT that had a blanking plate. The dealer had to cut away the wooden veneer to fit a radio. But I notice on my US 2000 GTV, the "Fasten your seatbelt" light was located towards the passenger, leaving space for a radio between that light and the instrument pod.

But 1750 GTVs came with factory installed speakers in the console!

·
Registered
385 Posts
The USA 1974 owners manual gave the impression that the radio and speakers were a dealer or consumer install.

Scan_20200920.png

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Yves, I think they were just openings and speaker covers in the console?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here in Australia, radio was a dealer-fitted option that you could order with your car if wanted in the 60s/70s. The cars as landed from Italy had no radio. Usually the dealers had an arrangement with a preferred local supplier/brand. In those days car radio reps would do the rounds of dealers & workshops offering latest models & deals & trying to sign them up to a period supply deal.
The 1750 console had speaker-hole blanking covers only. Which seems odd if you don't know the brand/shape/size of
your yet to be purchased speakers! I can't help think that they were actually also an aid to connecting the console & wiring on the car assembly line.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No. Peter Satori (dealer in Pasadena, Ca.) would have it installed for you. I deferred and got a Blaupunkt at the same shop they used for $20 less. It was a '73 GTV. If I remember right it was the go to brand to install.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
As far as I know they were a dealer installed option. In Canada they were often Blaupunct. Becker was another often seen brand.

Ken

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome info, thank you everyone! As my dash and console have been completely restored, I've decided not to cut anything for a radio install. However, since there is nothing I can do about speaker holes already have been cut in my rear panels, I'm going to go with an under dash install for a radio. Looking at something like this option right now:

If it proves to be aesthetically ugly, I may figure out a more custom solution but I would live to stick with something period correct looking for the radio.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm NOT a Tech guy...but couldn't you blue tooth to a hidden setup to play through the speakers???

Reactions: RenaissanceMan

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
The 1750 console had speaker-hole blanking covers only. Which seems odd if you don't know the brand/shape/size of
your yet to be purchased speakers! I can't help think that they were actually also an aid to connecting the console & wiring on the car assembly line.
They look like/are speaker covers and I use them as speaker covers for small speakers I bought and installed in the factory size holes in the console. My point is if you really care about music and sound you buy what size you want and cut them in wherever you want. If the GTV is more important than the music then you use the factory holes and speakers that fit those holes. Unfortunately, a PO had speaker holes cut into the rear parcel shelf on my GTV. One day I hope to fix that flaw. If I were to totally restore my GTV I would likely have no antenna or radio or speakers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a '71 GTV with the best radio I'm willing to put into an older car. The car has a delightful (musical in itself) exhaust note. There are 2 door speakers and 2 rear deck speakers. The sound is pretty respectable with the engine off, sitting in a Willow Springs garage waiting for the next session. Even with sound deadening, on the drive to the track or the grocery store or any drive at all, the sound is just "OK"...mixed with exhaust note, wind sounds and road noise it's still an enjoyable "hum along". I usually listen to tunes on my ipod anyway. The radio operates off of a boat antenna in the trunk.
The first pic shows the left speaker and DynaMat going in. The second pic was taken after recarpeting and shows the right speaker. Both window regulators had to be shortened to clear the speaker covers.

IMG_8072.JPG alfa187.jpg

On the other hand my other ALFA is a '17 Guilia TI Lusso. The 1st modern ALFA for me. It's sound system beats anything I have in the house even under full acceleration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts