Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does your tach drop to 0 at the same time, while the engine is still turning? If not, it's likely not an ignition issue as the tach reacts to spark timing.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How about a fuel pump problem?
You know that thing hangs underneath your car there, and is subject to some forces... I've had an intermittent fuel pump once, but they're not cheap.
However, I'd expect it to stutter or not be smooth right after this happened...

Perhaps your ECU connection? I've seen that one fail a number of times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Makes sense. I'm not an expert by far but then it seems to me like something that regulates both is failing... that'd mean an overarching system like the ECU or one of its connections?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it's the wire at the base of the distributor it would cause a no-spark situation, the tach would drop, same with the box near the steering wheel, so it won't be one of those...

Although that connection at the distributor is very shady and certainly warrants a good careful look. There's two wires (the green one is a coaxial wire) going into one plug and its very easy for the two to start touching.

·
Registered
141 Posts
??? It's cutting out abruptly, seems like either of those would be great candidates.

bs
Yes but the tach would drop, and he says it doesn't... wouldn't hurt checking though :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well the engine doesn't fall to 0 rpm immediately, right? it'd slowly dwindle down... if anything happens to the ignition system the tach drops to 0 instantly, like in a fraction of a second, boom, tach=0, while the engine is still turning, since the tach is connected to the ignition. If the tach follows the engine going down, it's highly unlikely that it is the ignition.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yuh, trust me, I've seen this happen a little too often in the past few weeks.. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
In my opinion, it makes it even more likely that the problem is in the wiring around the distributor, or combo relay..
bs
Why?
This is the ignition system... which controls the tach... so if combo relay, distributor wire, ignition module or ignition ECU controller go south the tach drops. I'm not sure if that's also the case for the coil, as it sits after the tach wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.