Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Fri. I rotated the passenger side tires on my 164S. Drove the car and everything was fine. Yesterday I did the driver side. Now I can feel a little "ticking" in the steering wheel. It varies with speed, and isn't there at all when stopped. Does it whether I'm going straight or turning. I can't hear it, like I said I just feel it. I jacked the car back up and turned the wheel, but couldn't hear or feel anything. I even un-rotated the tires, but it's still there. It's gonna have to get a lot worse before I can figure it out, but I'm suspecting a wheel bearing or CV joint. I hate just throwing parts at a malady in blind hope that I'll fix the problem. Maybe it's just coincidence that it happened after a tire rotation, but maybe hanging the front wheel out there with the jack was the final insult. Any opinions appreciated, and they do not necessarily have to be grounded in reality!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Jeff, welcome back to the bb! ;)

Visually inspect the CV boots on both sides. If no cracks or splits, chances are it is not CV related. Also, CV joints generally make noise going around corners, but not straight.

When you're at a stop, turn the wheel lock to lock and see if this ticking reappears. Then, do the same thing while driving slowly. Maybe you could get the tires rebalanced? Depending on the terrain, tires should be balanced every 10,000 miles or so.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sean-
It doesn't do it unless the car is moving. Frequency is speed related. Tires are well balanced, plus I switched the tires back to see if it would go away which it didn't. I agree that the CV joint is not likely. It really is a tiny little deal at this piont, in other words, it ain't slowing anyone down. I was proud ot Glamorous Terry, as she noticed it the first time she drove it! I haven't had time to overthink this yet. By the way, what's up with Charles these days? As an aside, we are considering a move to the Eureka, CA area. I guess it's OK to hijack your own thread?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hey Sean-
It doesn't do it unless the car is moving. Frequency is speed related. Tires are well balanced, plus I switched the tires back to see if it would go away which it didn't. I agree that the CV joint is not likely. It really is a tiny little deal at this piont, in other words, it ain't slowing anyone down. I was proud ot Glamorous Terry, as she noticed it the first time she drove it! I haven't had time to overthink this yet. By the way, what's up with Charles these days? As an aside, we are considering a move to the Eureka, CA area. I guess it's OK to hijack your own thread?
Eureka, CA!

Jeff we are going to be neighbors? Well closer than Arkansas.:eek:

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Something similiar happened to me after tire was balanced and stick on weights were installed in center of wheel as only way to balance a emergency repair - booted plugged tire. Stick on weights rubbed on brake caliper when wheel rotated.

Problem went away some what after soft lead on weights wore down a bit and completely when I put new tires and wheels on car as I don't like plugged tires for safety reasons.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but when I spun the wheel with the car jacked up, there was no issues. Plus, I switched the tires back with no change. I'll give an update when I have a catastrophic failure.

·
Premium Member
15,545 Posts
This is most likely not your problem, but it is something you could check. With my last 86 GTV6, I had a problem with the left front brake disc hitting the inside of the brake caliper. Turns out there was a little high spot on the edge of the disc, and esp when the brakes got hot, the disc would grow slightly in dia, and hit the caliper.

Your problem sounds more like a slight hitting of the caliper on the inside of a wheel.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Perhaps the wheel is bent with a spot slightly out of round. Dismount the wheel and inspect the inside to check for whether there's any rub mark.

Or, perhaps there is a rock or a nail stuck on the tire thread.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
On Fri. I rotated the passenger side tires on my 164S. Drove the car and everything was fine. Yesterday I did the driver side. Now I can feel a little "ticking" in the steering wheel. It varies with speed, and isn't there at all when stopped. Does it whether I'm going straight or turning. I can't hear it, like I said I just feel it. I jacked the car back up and turned the wheel, but couldn't hear or feel anything. I even un-rotated the tires, but it's still there. It's gonna have to get a lot worse before I can figure it out, but I'm suspecting a wheel bearing or CV joint. I hate just throwing parts at a malady in blind hope that I'll fix the problem. Maybe it's just coincidence that it happened after a tire rotation, but maybe hanging the front wheel out there with the jack was the final insult. Any opinions appreciated, and they do not necessarily have to be grounded in reality!
Thanks!
Jeff,

If your still using the front Spacers which I assume YES, then make sure they are not interfering with the wheel bolts. Sometimes if the locating pin is loose or not there at all, it can slide over just enough to keep the wheel from mounting flat even though the bolts fully thread in.

I assume factory wheels?

Check this and then get back.

How is the braking? Do you feel it while braking or does it get worse while braking?

J

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, factory wheels. As an aside, what are the spacers for? Are they only on the front? Remember, I am isolated (Alfa-wise) in Arkansas.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Yep, factory wheels. As an aside, what are the spacers for? Are they only on the front? Remember, I am isolated (Alfa-wise) in Arkansas.
Thanks,
They are to clear the wheel from the caliper.
Jason

·
Premium Member
15,545 Posts
That's interesting, as I've never noticed that my 91S has had spacers with the factory wheels, yet the parts eper disc does indicate spacer part 60508888 as a spacer for the S wheel. How thick are they supposed to be?

Hmmm, I'll have to take another look. Are they retained on the hub with a countersunk screw?

Does sound like that might be his problem, maybe with an out of round wheel, and since the calipers are not perfectly machined, there will be some dimensional tolerance for clearance with the wheels.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Spacers came on front hubs on all 164 B/L/S models. They are about 1/4" thick and held on by alignment pin headed bolt that takes a 12mm deep socket to remove. Pin headed bolt used to install steel wheel and emergency red spare but not much help with alloy wheels. So that is why long wheel lug bolt size threaded aligmnent bullet is in tool kit to help in installing alloy wheel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Huh? For real? I have never noticed the spacer. Since I am getting a set of after-market wheels for my L, should I take them off? (oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread!!)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes, there're spacers on the front wheels. They are quite thin (3/16" perhaps :)) and flush with the rotors so they are hard to notice at first. For new wheels, I guess it depends on the wheel off-set and clearance but I would try leave the spacers in (they are pretty thin anyway).

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Yes, there're spacers on the front wheels. They are quite thin (3/16" perhaps :)) and flush with the rotors so they are hard to notice at first. For new wheels, I guess it depends on the wheel off-set and clearance but I would try leave the spacers in (they are pretty thin anyway).
I just mic'd some at 0.128" so just over 1/8" thick.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Huh? For real? I have never noticed the spacer. Since I am getting a set of after-market wheels for my L, should I take them off? (oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread!!)
You can decide that when you install the wheels. I prefer to remove them and place them on the rear with aftermarket wheels. This gives a bit of clearance for the rear strut with wider wheel/tire packages. They are not really needed on the front when using other wheels.
J

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to put both sides of the car back to square one tomorrow, just in case it's on the passenger side and I missed it. God I love dragging those jacks around in the gravel on a hot day! Thanks very much to all who have posted. Update tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
OK, boys and girls....pictures please? Those who do not have the spacers will not be enlightened as much by words as by pictures, and they may be able to see the outlines of the spacers on their disks. It's been a while since I've had wheels off my cars (the ones which are still stock), and I don't remember what the spacers, if any, look like.

You're going to force me to look...?

Michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts