Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I think I may have a minor issue with my fuel injection. Here are the symptoms I perceive which may be related or not. You be the judge:
1) Rough idle. When the car is cold I get a fairly rough idle, but it smooths out when the engine is revved.
2) Sputtering and hiccups when moving from a stopsign. When the engine is cold (as in if I haven't driven it in days) the car will often hiccup and lurch forward when accelerating from a stop. Once the engine warms up this seems to go away. Only happens in low rpm.
3) Faint acrid "burning" smell when backing off the throttle. When I am cruising on the highway at around 4000 rpm and back off I get a sort of "sharp" smell in my nostrils. I can't tell if this is oil burning or unburnt fuel...My oil pressure is excellent so I sort of doubt i am burning oil? Also there is no smoke from the exhaust.
4)Difficulty starting with hot engine. Usually the car cranks right up on cold starts (then idles rough) but often when i stop at a gas station or a diner I come out and the thing takes a number of cranks to start. Once it starts it runs smoothly though.

I guess that is all. I sort of feel like i may have a somewhat clogged or stuck injector, but i am really not a mechanic. I put some injector cleaner in there and that seemed to make a slight improvement with the rough idle, but it could totally be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha actually I was reading this last night and though I had a clogged injector, but now that I re-read that, you could be right.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys,
I think the AAV might be dirty. But I am not 100% sure where it is located :D

Could someone send a pic of it on the engine? Greg Gordon's site only shows it off the car, so i can't really be sure where to look. I am learning as I go here...

DaVinci - my "accordion" is fairly new, but I will check it for cracks also.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The AAV is bolted to the PS valve cover underneath the accordion. It's got a hose on either end and an electrical connector.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Weird looking thing on the passenger side valve cover-got hoses attached. Check your throttle position sensor(TPS), too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts