Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by some guy that I should put di electric greese on all the blubs, in the fuse box, and even the batery terminals...is taht waht people do? sounds messy....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not so sure in the bulbs or in the fuse box...as for the battery, is helpfull. In my opinion this will be great to all plug connections.

·
Registered
what part?
10,875 Posts
hello, i ment on the big plastic plugs in the rear of the fusebox, and light fixtures( taillights,turnsignels etc) hey 'some guy'!!!:):) i did mine this way, i got one of those battery cleaning brushes, took out each bulb, cleaned the sockets, re tensioned the fittings, then use di-electric grease on them, you use only a wee bit on each bulb, just enough to put a light coating on the bulb.. on the plastic plugs around the car, on the male part, a small dabb on your finger, press it into the female spade comectors on the male plugs, and a little around the plus to make it easy to remove at a later date,, the plastic become brittle at age, this makes it easyer to plug, and unplug the fittings start at the front of the car, headlihgts/ running lights and work you way to the rear of the car.. i even did my ecu plugs, car runs better, light are brighter.. should only take a hour or hour .5 to do the whole job

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you remove the fuse box? sure would make it easier to clean....

·
Registered
what part?
10,875 Posts
yes, look under the dash. or the left side of the box, just pull it towards you, right side of the box, there is a plastic pin slid it( the box) to the left.. easy after you remove the box, look under the dash at the steering cloume area on the metal support you will see a small hole, this is what that small plastic pin came out of..

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I will look in the morning...I am too old and fat to be spending too much time on my back...

·
Registered
what part?
10,875 Posts
that might slow the car dow, unless it's a black or white spider those cars are slow to begin with :):):

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a white 76, back in 76, and it was anything but slow. got ther only speeding ticket I ever got in that car...hahaha, a little different these days.

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use dielectric grease on connections to keep out moisture and oxygen that cause corosion and bad connections.
cliff[/QUOTE

]does it go on the outside of the connector? or on the contacts themselves...I am only confused because it says non conducting, and that would seem counter productive...thanks

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
On the contacts themselves.

The non~conductive material coats the contacts, which should be clean and conductive to start with, and seals them against any elements that could cause corrosion in the connection which can cause failures and increase resistance to conductivity.

As you plug coated contacts together, the grease is scraped off in the areas of direct physical contact while the rest remains to act as a sealant.

Its kinda like shrink wrapping a soldered connection or dipping a pigtail in liquid rubber to seal it up post~connection.
The contact areas are still contacting and conducting, but everything else is more or less sealed against the outside world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts