Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
After searching a lot, i ended with the notion that the pump adjustment must be done with a special tool to measure the volume of fuel that the pump delivers. Since i don't have the tool, i made it like this:
Had the carb on the table, making sure the pump lever and rod have clearence to operate. Then, with a large cup, colected the squirt from one injector during 20 actuations of the accelerator lever, and ajust the pump to the low end of the volume specification (5,5cc if not mistaken). Therefore, the rest of the fuel that i cannot measure, because it falls on the carb barrel, if added would not exceed the maximum value.
Does anyone understood this description? Is this correct or should i find someone with the special tool?

Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
That is a good first step. Next step is once the engine is revving fine, to test how the engine picks up if you press the accelerator while in neutral gear. Make sure everything is ok before doing this: balancing carbs, correct jets, ignition etc

·
Registered
561 Posts
I remember doing this with the correct Alfa tools. 6cc per 20 strokes. (5.5 is close enough). The method you are using may work well enough.

The off car testing should be done while the carbs are horizontal, and bolted to the airbox so you are ensuring they are somewhat syncronised in the stroke.

Free revving will not give you a good representation of the engine under load under acceleration. I have sort cars that free revved well, but were not good on the road. High mileage DHLAs wear out the pins in the pivots. Repinning and adjustment is the only real cure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! I've seen some pictures also...
I think I know a classic car garage that should have it...
We'll see!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes! I've seen some pictures also...
I think I know a classic car garage that should have it...
We'll see!
well as you can see I have them, both, for Dellorto and for Weber (diferent pitch), different cc´s deliverys depending on the carb, emision or not, all have diferent values, You are not very far from me, maybe send them to me??

saludos

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well as you can see I have them, both, for Dellorto and for Weber (diferent pitch), different cc´s deliverys depending on the carb, emision or not, all have diferent values, You are not very far from me, maybe send them to me??

saludos
Thank you for your offer. If I can't do it here, it's always an option!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts