Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a pre-federalized bumper 1969-1973 Fiat 124 Sport Spider for sale? I have been frantically searching for one in excellent condition (totally rust free and not yellow, green or butterscotch) for three and a half years now. My first ever car was a dark blue '69. Red or one of the blue colors are the best for this model. I've had two others but none since 1985. The first thing I do on the computer each morning is search Craigslist, Auto Trader, Collector Car Search, Cars.com, Bring a Trailer, eBay and Hemmings. Despite the high rust susceptibility of these cars, there just has to be a really nice one out there for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you looking for a car you can hop in and drive, or something rust-free that can be the basis for a restoration?

Do you have a particular geographic area you want to stay within?

--Josh

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a friend who hasn't been able to find a 124 coupe to his liking either, and has been looking for a while now. those cars used to be all over the place, but I have a feeling you are experience the affects of the mass migration of classic sports cars to overseas markets that has been going on for the past 15 years here in the US. this was due to undervaluation of the cars here at home. i personally shipped a half dozen Fiats to Austrailia back in the 90's,sold my personal 68 Spider to a buyer from Holland, and saw hundreds of classic cars at the shipping docks waiting to be loaded in containers in the short time I was doing this. Thousands of sports cars have left the US over that time.

I saw a nice yellow earlier car for sale recently,(I am sure you saw it too) but you seem to have a strong opinion on what color you are after. maybe you need to open up your options as far as color, because green was one of the most popular colors on the earlier spiders, and limiting the color only further limits your chances of finding a good car. By the way, I still have euro market 1967 124 Spider (351'st one made) that was brought over here in the early 70's by the original owner who was in the armed services. Run a later model tuned 1800 engine in it and some other minor modifications, and it is not as original as my 68 was. My car is green!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Josh: I'd like to confine my search to the West and South Western US but if a near perfect example showed up in Moose Breath, Maine I'd ship it back here in a heartbeat. I am looking for one that can be driven now. I have too much arthritis in my thumbs and too little training in restoration beyond basic maintenance and repair. I would only consider such a project with a low-mileage, rust-free car that was always properly stored inside and at least liked if not loved.

Andrew: I suppose I could bend a little concerning color if the right car came along. The local Fiat wrench spinner told me to avoid pre-1969 Fiats - something about the mechanical radiator fan drive that was unreliable and the parts now non-existant. The later ones all have electric fans. Besides, the early AS cars were equipped with a driveshaft mounted inside a "torque tube," but the design was dropped in 1968 in favor of the more common rear axle with trailing arms, apparently because the torque tube rear-axle housings were developing cracks.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
If you wouldn't mind changing the bumpers, there's a very nice blue '81 on the orange County Craigs list.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
101/105guy: I thought about the bumper conversion but decided that it was not desirable or practical. Last I checked the parts were around $2000. The process involves metal cutting, fitting and welding. There is no provision for front driving/turning signal lights. These have to be customized. Once finished, the front bumper sits too high. Then there is the problem of lowering the suspension to match the earlier AS and BS models. The post '77 spiders have huge ugly bumps on the hood. Finally, the later non-turbo engines are so desmogged they wouldn't pull the skin off of tapioca pudding.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There was a perfect yellow/ ochre car for sale in SoCal. But really, really nice - Best I have ever seen. It is a late 60's/ early 70's model with the right bumpers and right rear lights. It truly was stunning and I thought the (Likely very correct) color looked awesome.

If you can live with the color, I can look around: The car came several times to Irvine cars and coffee and has been at the Best of France and Italy. It was advertised for $13k. Steep, I know, but it was truly spectacularly looking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg: Those shops in Ontario do nice work. I used to live in Port Huron, Michigan and still have friends in Sarnia from my old Judo days.

mbaum: I found a photo of a bright yellow 1970 124 spider that was taken at the French and Italian show in 2008. I'm afraid that is the only color that I absolutely could not abide. We have a nice show in Denver in June. It's called the Automezzi and is all Italian.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I researched that car last month. It was advertised on the Portland Craigslist. Among the many large images the owner kindly sent me, were some depicting several rust bubbles in the rear wings down near the bottom behind the doors. That's why it was selling for only $4200.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not sure on your definition of bright yellow, but here is a picture of the car for sale - It is ochre, a period color, not bright yellow.

I think the color absolutley rocks but it is your car in the end.

Maybe some of the SoCal guys can identify the car/ owner? Might not be for sale anymore - Will keep my eyes open.

Mike

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
mbaum:

The car photo I found was not the same. It was a very bright yellow. The one you posted really is stunning! If it is as nice as you say I would not hesitate to purchase that car if it is still for sale. No headrests or rear side lights. That one looks like a 1968. I could die happy with that one. It would never ever see a wet pavement but would be driven. There is a place waiting for it next to my GTV and MGB in our steel barn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone on the Fiat Lancia Unlimited forum claims that this is a car that Classic Motorsports contributor Andy Reid sold recently. Reference: CM #145, July 2010 p93 and CM #147, November 2010 p125. He purchased it for $6200, installed a new dash and got a $7000 paint job. I emailed CM for confirmation.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I do not know anything about the owner but have seen the car 3 - 4 times with the for sale sign @ $13,000. Me and my very picky friends were drooling. I have no clue on 124 Spider prices except that they are ridiculously low but 13 Grand for that car sounded like a **** good deal to me. Assume it is indeed sold.

Mike

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I do not know anything about the owner but have seen the car 3 - 4 times with the for sale sign @ $13,000. Me and my very picky friends were drooling. I have no clue on 124 Spider prices except that they are ridiculously low but 13 Grand for that car sounded like a **** good deal to me. Assume it is indeed sold.

Mike
Fiat guys are even cheaper than Alfa and Lancia guys. So it may not be sold yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts