Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never noticed (or even contemplated) this until someone parked their Jag XJ next to my car.
The Alfa, is of course, much better looking ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Try comparing the Alfetta GT with the Austin Princess ...

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I have alway said the 2 door Jag looks like a big GTV.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I believe Jaguar has been "influenced" by Alfa for a bit of time.

Take a look at the E-Type and compare it to a Giulietta SS - it is pretty clear where a lot of the inspiration for the E-Type came from.

The shape of the greenhouse, the opening of the front wheel, the wrap around chrome in the back, the shape of the fenders in the front and the back...

I would also argue that the XJ's rear and taillight design was influenced by the SS

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Actually, you'll probably see more of the Disco Volante in the E-Types design - especially in the rear of the coupe.
The Disco Volante predates the E-Type by more than 8 years.

Jaguar e type coupe.jpg

Disco Volante Coupe.jpg

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I believe that William Lyons sectioned a Bertone and added metal both in the length and width of the car. I seem to recall that there is a photograph of the result painted black in one of the Jaguar books.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Amazing!!!!
Well, when inspired by a shape, the outcome will most propably have some similarities with the object of inspiration.
For example, take the Lotus Elise S1 and the Ferrari Dino. The one responsible for the Lotus design has a Dino in his garage andt that was for him the source of inspiration.. Find the differences, if any....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hadn't spotted the XJ similarity before, but since the original XJ is also a gorgeous shape it is not a bad comparison to be made.

For the e-type that's a fascinating comparison that I haven't seen before. Visually the e-type is the better final resolution to my eyes. But that isn't to say that Malcolm Sayer didn't have his version of SS in his mind as lwell as D-type when drafting the shape.

Maybe we are a bit critical here because every time has it's visual design language and by definition there are often similarities. Also, most designers are not above selling the same design multiple times, to multiple customers. In Europe Pininfarina sold the same design to Peugeot, twice (406 & 605) and Alfa (164).

If you look at a Giulia GT and compare with a BMW 3.0CS spot the similarities, glasshouse, particularly rear window, slight sharknose, profile. Once again bertone selling same design twice!

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1

harryf-

Agree on every point. Well said.

~Chris

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've never noticed (or even contemplated) this until someone parked their Jag XJ next to my car.
The Alfa, is of course, much better looking ;-)
Several years ago, in my GTV's BMW Baltic Blue days, I parked next to a Jag and was also surprised to see the similarities.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts