Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have a strange problem on my -78 Alfetta GTV, it's a 2.0 litre 4 cyl one...

When I depress the clutch pedal, the engine moves about 5 millimeters forward? After an evening with acrobatics* in the workshop I managed to observe that it's actually the cluch flywheel that moves those 5 mm out of the clutch housing? It seems to be a gap between the inner bearing and the clutch flywheel?

After disassembling the clutch I noticed that there are markings from where the flywheel actually made contact with the inside of the cluthc housing! The ball bearings in the clutch housing are brand new, but do I miss some spacers/washers between the flywheel and the inner housing bearing? The two nuts at the yoke seems to be at the bottom of their threads but the yoke actually don't seem to pull the package together?

Thankful for any input on this!

Cheers,
Magnus
(Oh, I do hope anyone can follow my ramblings here... I'll try go get some pics tomorrow at the garage... :) )

* Acrobatics incl laying at workshop floor with left foot operating clutch pedal and head under car looking at transmission yoke... Ouch, I'm too old for this...

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I managed to get a few photos of the ball bearings separated from the clutch housing.

The first pic shows the package as it was sitting in the clutch housing. The gap between the rear bearing (the lower one in the pic) and the spacer tube is about 3 millimeters (about 0.11 inch I think?)... This is the distance the engine was pushed forward then I pushed the cluthc pedal down!

The second pic shows that I need about an extra 3 millimeters (giving a total of 6 mm = 0.28 inch) to allow the clutch flywheel to stay clear of the clutch housing and at the same time making sure that the nuts at the front end still got enough treads to secure the whole thing...

Question is if it's common to have to put extra spacers between the bearings? Feels like something isn't right...

Best regards
Magnus

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.